Factory Tach...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I went and looked at the tach today. I was disappointed but at the same time about what I thought. Kid just had it in his shed in the backyard, it was not cleaned up at all, the lens had some scratches on it, and the gear selector was missing. Not super impressive, but the markings on the face were very sharp and clear, and the needles were in nice bright condition. Potential is what I was thinking.

Can anybody tell me about the copper ribbon overlay on the backside? Is this the "printed circuits" I see in the resto catalogs? The ends of the one on this cluster were not straight and bent over from being handled. He said he will give me another cluster, a non tach, that had a good circuit so I can swap them. Can this be done? Or do I need one from a tach cluster?

He said $75, which I was not comfortable paying. I told him I would make a decision when I came back to look at the serpentine system he is supposed to be getting from his buddies house Saturday.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes it is called the printed circuit. It may be possible, as long as the circuit is for the gauge package. You'll have to do some slight modification to get the small gas gauge and the tach to work, as well as may have to re-arrange some pinouts on your harness plug for the cluster. It's not overly difficult, other than tracing wires and reading wiring diagrams.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is it a cluster with an electrical oil pressure gauge? If so, it will bolt right in without having to modify any wiring. The printed circuit is different from a regular cluster, and you can very likely repair the printed circuit if it has any bad spots.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks again for all this great info C4. I found another really good page on the web for SB tachs. Two things that kinda stood out was it said that the correct printed circuit should be used for your year truck. I am sure this goes with what you said about re-arranging pinouts and such. Also this guy did not have any part of the pigtail for the tach. I know it's not a necessity, but it would be nice. Electrical stuff isn't my thing so any help is good.

Bucket - Yeah electrical oil pressure, and I figured it would be different from a regular tach. It is good to know that I won't have to modify the wiring. So his offer with the regular cluster wouldn't work. Thanks.

Last edited:

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Tach option

New Tach from LMC Truck. Part Number 36-1882 for $129.95, you will also need the wiring harness for $29.95.

I'll put that in and in my blank spot on the side (where they would have put a clock) I will see if i can install a small fuel guage from 79-81 trucks part number 36-1962 for $59.95.

This is going to be one SWEET setup!

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I installed a similar digital clock in a 78 chevy I had years ago. I took it out of a 86 or 87 tempo dash. Dremel tool to cut the dash out about the same spot and looked factory for the truck. If you get around a junkyard might check and see if you can find one of those to replace yours. looks about same size from what I can tell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1