exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
My 76 I run long tubes into 2.25 pipes into 18 inch summit glasspacks, 90 and exits in front of the rear wheels. At WOT it is loud but idles quiet and under high vacuum it is quiet. Personally I like the sound of glasspacks versus chambered mufflers.

It was cheap too. Headers I traded a case of Natty lite for, mufflers were 20 each, 90 degree elbows were 10 each, pipes were under 20 each I think (2.25 10ft long), header buddies were 25.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
My 8 year old got an idle video of my truck. My wife has been starting it up for me since I have been down. Im poor so my phones quality sucks(I know). Lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Anyone that can swap a case of moose piss for headers got a hell of a deal.

That's funny. My dad, may he rest in peace, he didn't want people drinking his beer so he always bought Lite. Nobody would touch it so he had it all to himself...lol...

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have 2 fridges ,MINE and the other for visitors with the appropriate beverages. I do have a couple of friends that I like to share with, just not all of them
That's funny. My dad, may he rest in peace, he didn't want people drinking his beer so he always bought Lite. Nobody would touch it so he had it all to himself...lol...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome.

Me I like single exhaust, the factory guys knew their stuff...
Actually, the factory guys knew how to meet a price target set by bean counters! :(

I'd only use single exhaust on a 305 or 350 if it was 3" all the way back to a massive muffler. (2.5" after that may be OK.) Heck even modern SUVs with 3.5 liter engines use 2.5" or the metric equivalent.

For a more traditional path to increases in fuel economy and performance, I suggest dual exhaust with 2-1/4" minimum all the way back, and 2-1/2" if using crush bends. Also mufflers that don't "neck" down internally (easy to see). An example of a good performance muffler without a lot of noise is the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo. Then there's something like Magnaflow for more noise. I'd suggest mufflers with a 20" long case. The shorter ones (around 14") will be noisier.

I have 20" Dynomax Super Turbos on my truck, and my son has 14" Magnaflows. Big difference in sound, but I have to say his aren't too objectionable.

Check out these guys for mandrel bent pipes: http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/

However, I would not use their mufflers.

Last edited:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Actually, the factory guys new how to meet a price target set by bean counters! :(

I'd only use single exhaust on a 305 or 350 if it was 3" all the way back to a massive muffler. (2.5" after that may be OK.) Heck even modern SUVs with 3.5 liter engines use 2.5" or the metric equivalent.

For a more traditional path to increases in fuel economy and performance, I suggest dual exhaust with 2-1/4" minimum all the way back, and 2-1/2" if using crush bends. Also mufflers that don't "neck" down internally (easy to see). An example of a good performance muffler without a lot of noise is the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo. Then there's something like Magnaflow for more noise. I'd suggest mufflers with a 20" long case. The shorter ones (around 14") will be noisier.

I have 20" Dynomax Super Turbos on my truck, and my son has 14" Magnaflows. Big difference in sound, but I have to say his aren't too objectionable.

Check out these guys for mandrel bent pipes: http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/

However, I would not use their mufflers.

I have never run a single, ever. But I know dual 3" on a mostly stocker kills low end. Not the same on a single? Legit question.

Biggest I will go even with my mild build is 2.5".

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I was wrong. My wife's Infiniti QX60 SUV with 3.5 liter engine has a 3" exhaust pipe that runs as far forward as I can see from looking under the rear, probably to where it meets the head pipes from the two cylinder banks.

So, yeah, a single 2.5" pipe seems downright wimpy for a 350. Probably good for nothing except a loss of fuel mileage, torque, and horsepower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400