Exhaust Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Anyone have any good links/reading material on the subject? I've read a few but they have all been so vague as in at what time do you want back pressure, resonant frequency and such other terms.

There's got to be a way to measure all these "terms" and fine tune your exhaust and/or make it a "real" dual exhaust where it changes (by opening a valve to another system/chamber) itself from one configuration to another depending on throttle/flow etc.

LOL last paragraph way outside the box (and way out of my expertise....don't know **** about exhaust). But with sensors these days, you would think it wouldn't be the "science" that it is.

Thanks In Advance
'Maro

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The issue is there are way more opinions and rumors about exhaust flow than there are facts backed up by scientific studies.

And "real" dual exhaust is a dedicated pipe for each cylinder bank. You are describing dual mode exhaust, which is available on new Corvettes and Camaros.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Thanks, didn't know they'd done it. I typed it that way in an attempt to describe it lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know what controls it exactly, but it's electric and tied to the PCM. I don't know if it's simply the TPS that operates it or if it bases it off of engine load too. But I do know that there's a fuse you can pull out to make it bypass the baffled part of the mufflers all the time. Chevy has been using the setup for several years now.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
After reading your post, it appears there is a switch in the vehicle that you manually switch. The exhaust cut-out valves aren't terribly priced either. Of course the cheaper they are, the more they leak when closed.

For what I'm thinking you would need a valve that is quick to open/close. Be nice if it was variable and quick then just control it with a tps signal. That way it would start to open prior to downshifting in an automatic.

Thanks again, gives me something to think about.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
In reality land, tubing diameter and collector length.

That's basically all you need to know.

Chances are 1&5/8 primaries are too big.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
After reading your post, it appears there is a switch in the vehicle that you manually switch. The exhaust cut-out valves aren't terribly priced either. Of course the cheaper they are, the more they leak when closed.

For what I'm thinking you would need a valve that is quick to open/close. Be nice if it was variable and quick then just control it with a tps signal. That way it would start to open prior to downshifting in an automatic.

Thanks again, gives me something to think about.

For aftermarket cutouts, yes. You just flip a switch and they dump the exhaust. But the factory dual mode exhaust that Chevy uses still comes out the back, and the valving is done automatically.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Right, I was thinking if I wanted to spend the money on it I could find a signal to control it when I do the LS swap.

Doubt it will happen, I've got other things to spend money on....other truck parts, gearing change, oil cooler, guns, that crew cab I want.....LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76