exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
This may seem stupid but Are all the exhaust systems on the 73-87 very similar? I'm thinking of buying a system for my 81. Here's the setup on LMC

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=159

For $330 shipped it's about what I can expect to pay to have a system made around here plus Muffler shops in NC can't mess with your exhaust if the cat. converter is missing. They can only replace them. So to make a system I'd spend at least $200 in 2 high flow converters. I want to eliminate mine and go with duals. Mine still has the original waffle and if you tap it dust and suit comes out so I know it's seen better days. The pellets inside are super black and dark red. The old guys at work worked on GMs back in the day and they said it's the first thing that needs to go. I want to make sure there's no difference between 70s and 80s exhaust systems besides the cat. (where they bolt to the manifolds, the rest of the truck's frame layout is identical so no fitment issues) They say on the site 1/2 ton is 73-77 but I'm sure it's only because in 78 they added converters so they have to do it for legal reasons. Worst case maybe invest in some 70s manifolds from the junkyard?

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
check summit. you'll get a much better price, & a better quality kit. I recommend a hooker, as its mandrel bent .

muddyman184

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
90 AND 82
Truck Model
K5,K20
Engine Size
check summit. you'll get a much better price, & a better quality kit. I recommend a hooker, as its mandrel bent .

Ditto on summit LMC is over priced sometimes or just call call a local muffler shop and see how much to fab one up for you

82k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jerry barnard
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 modified
you should be able to find a set up for that truck fairly cheap i did the system in my k20 for
325.00 with a set of long tubes if ya can i would run the headers if at all possible. As far as manifold connections ive not seen any differences in manifold connections

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS