Engine won't get up to temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrdunham0826

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Gmc suburban 2500
Engine Size
Hi so I have a 1983 gmc suburban 2500 with a 350 small block and I live in Alaska so very cold outside. I have a heating problem my engine won't warm up to temp the highest temp I could get it to was 140 I used a ir temp gun to verify the temp. I replaced the tstat to a 195° it works I tested it before I put it in. I replaced the heater core, radiator, water pump, and flushed everything. And somehow the engine runs colder now that I replaced everything. I also blocked off the radiator with cardboard. And the fan clutch works. I am super lost and don't know what else to do I've tried everything that I know of. Any help will be appreciated thanks in advance.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Even new thermostats will fail even after testing. Does the IR indicate proper operation? Have you scanned the temp on the heater hoses? Maybe thermal wrap on them will reduce the loss to an acceptable level. Because beyond blocking airflow through the radiator, I have no other cold area tips, sorry.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, back to some basics. When you say you have a heating problem, you said the engine isn't getting hot; does that mean you are not getting heat into the cab?
Where is the temperature sensor located on the engine? It is usually along the driver's side of the head but can also be found on top of the thermostat housing. When it is installed there, the readings can be very inaccurate.
When the radiator cap is removed, what sort of flow is there with the radiator fluid?
I'll add that a thermostat can be shown to open and close on a bench and yet not work as it is supposed to.
Modern parts are proving to have poor quality.

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just curious, what the ambient temps are? Also is the vehicle new to you or have you always had it and this problem just started?

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
This probably won't help your problem but I've heard of a 'cold weather package". Wonder if any of those items would help.

My suburban spent a lot of its life in Canada/Alaska and it came to me with the smallest radiator I've ever seen in a square and a ridiculous looking 3 blade fan.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pullit

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Mine had one line from the engine to the heater core and the return went to the radiator. I took it from the radiator and put it to the water pump. Problem solved. The return to radiator was just a big thermostat bypass.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I worked at North Pole (Fairbanks) AK for 3 winters. I LOVE that place. I will gladly come fix it for ya!

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Remember the first thing I saw when I hitched in 1972 to Fairbanks..A guy and a gal duken it out in a canal close to a tavern, and the fire dept having a water war with there trucks. Think it might have been the sunshine.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Does it matter? I did a quick google and it said cars post 1980 shouldn't have a too cold problem.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Mine had one line from the engine to the heater core and the return went to the radiator. I took it from the radiator and put it to the water pump. Problem solved. The return to radiator was just a big thermostat bypass.
would the rad water connect be the same i mean thats in coming from the water pump ... water pumps through intake to heater core then from heater core to rad where water pump grabs it an d the cycle starts over , it does not need the thermostat what so ever.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad