Engine swap From 250 6 cylinder To 350 sbc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Question oh wise ones.....I got the old exhaust outta the way and I have 4 main bolts loose but still in place. So I have electrical connections and motor mounts to disconnect still. If I pull the engine with the manual trans in place. once I unbolt the 4 bolts connecting the trans and engine and start to pull the engine , will the trans stay somewhat in place?
the trans mount bolts and driveshaft would be the only support.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Question oh wise ones.....I got the old exhaust outta the way and I have 4 main bolts loose but still in place. So I have electrical connections and motor mounts to disconnect still. If I pull the engine with the manual trans in place. once I unbolt the 4 bolts connecting the trans and engine and start to pull the engine , will the trans stay somewhat in place?
the trans mount bolts and driveshaft would be the only support.

No, you will want to support the front of the trans with something. Most people just run a ratchet strap under the front of the trans and over the frame rails to hold it up.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
kinda what i thought but didnt want to get to the last bolt and have a surprize .
just working on electrical disconnections. got hyd clutch cyl off.

It has been so much freaking help on this forum. I woulda gone bald (er) scratching my head on some of these things or gotten hurt even.
Thanks for to all for sharing all your knowledge and experiences.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
just a couple bolts away from pulling my v8. question. I am pulling with a manifold lifting plate, any preference or requirements on what grade bolts to use? my carb has 2 long and 2 short bolts so I have to get some bolts, just didnt know what grade was needed?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
just a couple bolts away from pulling my v8. question. I am pulling with a manifold lifting plate, any preference or requirements on what grade bolts to use? my carb has 2 long and 2 short bolts so I have to get some bolts, just didnt know what grade was needed?

SBC doesn't weigh enough to break even one 5/16" bolt of any grade, let alone 4 of them. Get whatever is available and cheap. You should be able to use any 5/16-18 x 1" bolt and send it.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks to all who shared the wisdom!!. got it out. now to degrease/remove the 1/3 of an inch of grime. after degreasing remove bell housing and flywheel get it on engine stand.
It is remarkable when you dismantle 2 trucks just how much space it takes up....

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
question of the day......i have removed the bolts connecting the bellhousing to the engine block. but it wont budge. dont want to hit it too hard with a hammer.....am i missing something?
the passenger side flexes and moves a bit when hit, but the drivers side is still very tight.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
housing is off,,,but maybe my BFH was too big. cracked the housing. those guide pins suck.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
housing is off,,,but maybe my BFH was too big. cracked the housing. those guide pins suck.
That sure sucks.

I've always had'em come loose just by wiggling the tail shaft.

You might put a little grease around those dowel pins next time.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
fortunately I was pulling the bellhousing off from a manual trans. I am using the engine with a auto trans....