Engine starts ok, but immediately shuts off:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
As you might know i'm almost done with a 305 to 4.3 swap.

What's happening now is that the engine will start, but it immediately shuts off after you release the key from the start position

The only thing i did was to bypass the ESC function on the distributor (All carbed 4.3's in trucks got the ESC distributor) by connecting the black and green wires on the pigtail that normally plugs into the esc computer.

Thoughts?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here are a couple of things to check/try:

1. Key in the RUN position, confirm 12 VDC on the pink lead that connects to the BAT terminal.

2. Next, while cranking the starter, use a meter or test lamp to confirm 12 VDC (or so)

3. Then check whether that voltage drops off (like below 10) when the ignition key - or remote starter button if that is what you're using - is released

4. If it does drop below 10 VDC, try running a hot wire - from the battery positive directly to the BAT terminal on the distributor.

If it fires - and stays running - with a direct battery feed, suspect a bad ignition switch

If you still don't get a consistent, healthy spark, take it one step further: provide a 12 VDC supply to the coil primary from a completely external source (e.g. a battery charger, another vehicle or just a spare battery).

Note the results of that test and report back.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Ok, i got it solved (i think/hope?)----there wasn't enough fuel in the bowl. So this time, i am filled it up all the way thru the vent hole.

It ran much longer this time. It did cut out after say 3-5 secs but i think this is due to the fact that this is the first time it has really run since oct 13.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
Here are a couple of things to check/try:

1. Key in the RUN position, confirm 12 VDC on the pink lead that connects to the BAT terminal.

2. Next, while cranking the starter, use a meter or test lamp to confirm 12 VDC (or so)

3. Then check whether that voltage drops off (like below 10) when the ignition key - or remote starter button if that is what you're using - is released

4. If it does drop below 10 VDC, try running a hot wire - from the battery positive directly to the BAT terminal on the distributor.

If it fires - and stays running - with a direct battery feed, suspect a bad ignition switch

If you still don't get a consistent, healthy spark, take it one step further: provide a 12 VDC supply to the coil primary from a completely external source (e.g. a battery charger, another vehicle or just a spare battery).

Note the results of that test and report back.

Thanks for the help----hopefully the lack of fuel was the problem.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are you frickin' kidding me?

fussfeld