Engine lunched itself...need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@Raider L You must have never had a 307. They weren't Chevys best engine but the one my boy, Tony, had in his 68 Nova took a heckuva lot and never gave up. Started out stock, then a quadrajet, then set of headers all in front of a PG. Got him thru high school and was still going strong at about 110 K when we put the 327 in

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
In theory, yes. But, the first time you get the "bwaaahhh" of the secondaries opening, that thought gets thrown behind the seat for emergency use only. :evillol:
I would be flooring a 2 barrel the only difference would be I would arrive where I’m going much slower so probably more gas used???? Save the planet guys we need more quadrajets

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Hi.
Sorry for your loss we're all here for you Brother Squarebody. Sure you can be sad - that's okay and it's natural.

But have you got another way to work?

The best way to fix it depends on how much time we've got, not money. ;)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:signs8:

I lunched a 305 (L69) on surprise once and it whipped that Corvette - but It was low on oil too..that engine could do no wrong, it's major malfunction was ME.
I still wish Ida rebuilt it.

Last edited:

Phil83K10

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 V8
my 305 gave me trouble and swapped in the 350 crate motor. Best decision I ever made...

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
how much did that 350 crate motor run ya?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah, some people had good 307's and the rest of us hated them. 305's to. But the 350 was/is the most trouble free engine Chevy ever built, and they are still being built today in every configuation. Notice the 305 or the 307 isn't being built in any shape or form. That's what I said, they were EPA engines. They were built so the public could get used to the idea that we need to save gas and the enviroment. Then they started letting European and Japanese cars into our market but they had to start somewhere and that started with engines that burned unleaded gasoline, so we'd get used to not having horse power anymore or engines that weren't worth hopping up.

Just think, ever since 1953, I think, when the 283 came out and America had an engine they could hop up and the rest was history, that is until someone thought we were just getting to carried away with all this horse power nonsense. Enter the 305, and the 307. The American lust after horse power was neutered!
For a little while at least, but if the New Green Deal ever goes through we won't even be able to afford to buy a gallon of gas let alone any kind of engine to put it in.

I say, if liberals want us all to walk everywhere and do without a car, or truck, them first!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, some people had good 307's and the rest of us hated them. 305's to. But the 350 was/is the most trouble free engine Chevy ever built, and they are still being built today in every configuation. Notice the 305 or the 307 isn't being built in any shape or form. That's what I said, they were EPA engines. They were built so the public could get used to the idea that we need to save gas and the enviroment. Then they started letting European and Japanese cars into our market but they had to start somewhere and that started with engines that burned unleaded gasoline, so we'd get used to not having horse power anymore or engines that weren't worth hopping up.

Just think, ever since 1953, I think, when the 283 came out and America had an engine they could hop up and the rest was history, that is until someone thought we were just getting to carried away with all this horse power nonsense. Enter the 305, and the 307. The American lust after horse power was neutered!
For a little while at least, but if the New Green Deal ever goes through we won't even be able to afford to buy a gallon of gas let alone any kind of engine to put it in.

I say, if liberals want us all to walk everywhere and do without a car, or truck, them first!!

I feel like the conversation we are having is not the conversation you are having.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The 305 as an answer to fuel and environment care was the bad thing.Until the 1970s the only foreign competition,and it really wasn't competition to american cars was the Volkswagen Beetle.With the 1973 Arab oil embargo happening the japanese had been working diligenty on product improvements.They blindsided the american carmakers with fuel efficient small cars.American answer to that was a Pinto,Vega and other smaller cheap cars.With lackluster quality and appeal to a public that were accustomed to large gas sucking cars.Suddenly with the foreign competition,there was a better alternative.V8 engines were power reduced anemic inefficient hunks of iron.But I still love most of them because I'm a 'murican"

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hello, everyone. Sorry I have not checked in in a while.
Thank you to everyone that has responded.
I have not even touched the truck since I wrote that message, have way to much on my plate right now. That was just one more crappy thing that happened that week.
I asked around a few people I know, and they had the same thought I did, and a few of you said the same thing. Everyone seems to think it ate a rod bearing.
Next week or 2 I should be able to start working on it, so we'll see.
As far as "needing" the truck, it was my daily in that i drove it to work everyday, but I have a Yukon that I can use right now.
I have 2 other trucks that are way closer to running and driving, (one needs seats, and the other needs a fuel line and taillights), so I'm most likely going to get those going first so I can have a "truck" again, and check 2 projects off the list before I touch the 305.
Everyone I know says the same thing about 305s, "they're crap, don't rebuild it".
That engine had always been good to me, ran good, plenty of power, until the other day. I guess I'm suffering it's wrath now.
I dont know if it's just a one in a million chance, or maybe that's one of its weak points.
It seems like what value it gains from being a "numbers matching", it looses from being a 305.
A 350 long block would be the best value, and probaly the most reliable thing I could do, and I might do that of my engine is garb, but I'm looking for a cheaper option right now.
If I didn't mar the crank, or damage anything else, could I get away with just doing bearings and rings, and throwing it back together?
Or would it just being wasting my time, and will it just blow up again?

If I could get away with 2-300 bucks and a weekend, I'd be super happy. But if you guys all say that's a bad idea, or if its completely wrecked, then I'm not getting it machined, and I'll just get a 350 and be done with it. What do you think?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave