Engine Boom Progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
tis a good time to make sure that cam is going to do what you want it to, is that bare or painted silver?

I sure hope the cam works out. It's pretty beefy, so I hope the stock low compression does not hurt it.

The intake is painted silver/aluminum. Raw it looks kinda funny with the brass water passages showing through (look on ebay, there's a few examples showing how odd it looks).

My Dad is trying his best to get me to run the stock pancake iron intake instead of this one. He thinks it will be too much work trying to get the accessories to bolt up. I just know that the big cam needs all the help it can get, so I'd be afraid of reaaalllyy choking it off with a stock intake.

I'm debating using the torque converter out of the Camaro for this too. It's a Jegs brand 2000-2200 stall converter, rather than the 1200 stall OEM big block converter that's on the truck now. Any ideas on what effect this swap would have on a big, heavy truck like this?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I sure hope the cam works out. It's pretty beefy, so I hope the stock low compression does not hurt it.

The intake is painted silver/aluminum. Raw it looks kinda funny with the brass water passages showing through (look on ebay, there's a few examples showing how odd it looks).

My Dad is trying his best to get me to run the stock pancake iron intake instead of this one. He thinks it will be too much work trying to get the accessories to bolt up. I just know that the big cam needs all the help it can get, so I'd be afraid of reaaalllyy choking it off with a stock intake.

I'm debating using the torque converter out of the Camaro for this too. It's a Jegs brand 2000-2200 stall converter, rather than the 1200 stall OEM big block converter that's on the truck now. Any ideas on what effect this swap would have on a big, heavy truck like this?

probably harder on tires, lower mpg and you run the risk of any metal in it from the camaros trans going into the trans in the truck.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
probably harder on tires, lower mpg and you run the risk of any metal in it from the camaros trans going into the trans in the truck.

Good notes. I don't think the metal thing would be an issue as it's a brand new transmission, but the other notes easily convinced me!

Although I can't imagine it could get any worse than 6mpg. Any lower and I'll have to switch to gallons per mile!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Good notes. I don't think the metal thing would be an issue as it's a brand new transmission, but the other notes easily convinced me!

Although I can't imagine it could get any worse than 6mpg. Any lower and I'll have to switch to gallons per mile!

call a cam maufacturer and tell them what you got see what they think... 6 mpg is terrible for a stock engine

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

Couple of things my friend..
The cam (if its the one previously discussed) doesn't specifically call out for a larger converter, but i'd be hard pressed to put it back together with a stock (or near stock) one hanging on the flywheel. I've openly been not a fan of the comp "mutha thumper" series of cams. I think they are the biggest waste of camshaft one could possibly buy. And i'm using the mutha thumper as an example- my buddy just bought a '78 K30 with a 454 that the guy rebuilt and also installed a mutha thumper cam in, and the cam card specifically states "can be used with a stock converter" but when you put it in gear it drags the rpm down from 950-1000 rpm to about 550-600. And it's constantly on the brake trying to creep forward. Truthfully he probably should have put a 2,000-2,400 rpm converter in it. And you guessed it, part of the plan is to install a bigger converter in it this winter during the downtime. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by leaving the stock converter in it. How converters work is (cliffs notes version here) based off the power band of the engine, duration of camshaft and weight of the vehicle so there are some variables to help determine the right one. But in my experience I have almost always wished I put a little bigger converter in than I did. I have a 2,400 stall in my truck now with the 454 I built for it, and it's pretty much spot on. If I mash the throttle it will "flash" higher but it's also "all in" for my 2,800-3,000 cruise rpm. You've got a big heavy truck like I do, let that engine get up a little higher into it's torque curve for coming out of the hole. And LOL for the gallons per mile comment. I always tell my Fiancé it's not measured in miles per gallon, it's smiles per gallon.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
After getting back from the impromptu trip away from home that resulted from a stupid hurricane, I'm back on this project. My Dad and I buttoned up the engine on Saturday and started getting it all hooked up yesterday. We ran out of steam before we could actually start it, but I'm hoping that will come in the next day or two. Here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Nice work! Where is the lawnmower blade going, is that a new fad that popped up recently...lol...

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Nice work! Where is the lawnmower blade going, is that a new fad that popped up recently...lol...

That's the new high-performance fan blade I'm putting on it. I heard it really... cuts down on the HP losses of a traditional fan!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
After getting back from the impromptu trip away from home that resulted from a stupid hurricane, I'm back on this project. My Dad and I buttoned up the engine on Saturday and started getting it all hooked up yesterday. We ran out of steam before we could actually start it, but I'm hoping that will come in the next day or two. Here are some pics:

did you get any part of the hurricane? Down here it as mostly rain showers and some wind.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
did you get any part of the hurricane? Down here it as mostly rain showers and some wind.

Apparently not. We've got 4 kids under 5 so we boogied out the Thursday before the storm when it looked like it was going to t-bone us. Turns out we just got a little wind and rain. Oh well. Work gave me a free paid week off so I guess I can't complain.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Went to put the carb on last night and discovered that somebody had plugged the front two q-jet carb bolt holes with little allen-head plugs (pic below). I got the one out, but the other one is IN THERE. It rounded off every allen key I had, and when I finally found a good key (a MAC t-handle) it rounded out the plug. Nice. I'm thinking the plugs got galled or something. So now I have to try to get the plug out with an easy-out.

This project just WILL NOT LET GO. Every step forward ends up being ten steps back.

I just want to get the engine fired up and see if it runs!!!!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sometimes you can hammer a torx bit into them. Don't expect to use the torx bit afterward.

Heat is your friend.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That's the new high-performance fan blade I'm putting on it. I heard it really... cuts down on the HP losses of a traditional fan!

I knew it!

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
You can also use the head of a bolt with two jam nuts but in this case sounds like you're gonna drill it out.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Long story short... It ain't coming out. I dunno what the hell they did but its in there. Tried drilling and it dulled all my drills. Finally got a hole big enough for an easy-out to bite and.... It ROUNDED OFF THE EASY OUT.

F'ing thing must be made of titanium or something.

So I ordered an open-plenum quadrajet adapter plate that will make it so I can use the square-bore bolt holes. WTF. This project has been fighting me every. single. step. of. the. way...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike