Engine bay paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm about to paint my engine bay black and wanted to know the best kind and brand for engine bay , but at a reasonably priced

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I use POR-15.

While it is fairly expensive at like $45 per quart (one quart will do everything), if the surfaces are properly prepped and the POR-15 applied correctly - it is awesome.

You will end up with a smooth, gleaming surface that is rock hard, impervious to any chemicals and can be easily cleaned with a hot water stream.

Also it arrests any missed rust spots and should last basically forever.

Here's one I did a few years ago - and back then I sucked at painting things:

Attachments

• P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you spray it or did you brush it

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I just used rattle can on my engine bay and it turned out great and is easy to touch up if necessary

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did you spray it or did you brush it

LOL - that's a good question.

When I first started using POR-15 I tried to apply it with those cheap foam brushes - like the kind in the clearance baskets at Home Depot. They actually work great. They spread it out in light coats and leave the surface perfectly flat. But they last about 5 minutes. Then they melt off the plastic Popsicle stick and you are left with what amounts to a sponge. Even the sponge disintegrates in about 10 minutes. So for small projects they are fine.

I don't own spray equipment and I am way to cheap to use bristle type brushes.

So here is what I do now:

Take from the can, whatever quantity of the paint that you feel you can use before it starts to get tacky (this is highly dependent on humidity more than temp - on a cool, high humidity night, the dispensed portion can start to turn sticky real quick).

I pour it into a Mason jar (the kind farmers use for canning vegetables) because they come with a quality, air-tight lid. Screw the cap on tight and let the jar (with the POR-15 in it) sit in a bath of real hot water for an hour or so. This is a great trick: the product becomes nice and thin due to the heat. So a given quantity goes much further hot than cold - important considering the expense.

As far as application - after awhile I realized that what I was doing amounted to sponging the stuff on. I bought a big package of decent quality sponges and cut them up into 2" X 2" & 3" X 3" squares. THEY WORK GREAT. And they are way cheaper than even foam brushes but last as long as you care to push them around.

Advice:

Buy a big box of latex gloves - and use them. If that stuff gets on your skin and is allowed to stay for even 5 minutes - you will have it for 2 -3 weeks. It ain't pretty.

If you get it right away with a solvent (acetone, WD-40, brakeklean, carb clean, gojo, etc all work) quickly it comes off. But sometimes in the heat of the moment it doesn't seem to matter - and you just keep on painting. Only when you sober up do you realize what your hands, arms, face neck look like.

Buy a gallon of brake kleen and before you paint an area, sand it for adhesion and then give it a good wipe down. The POR-15 will stick to existing paint that way. Don't worry about it sticking to light rust - it does! Heavy scale type rust MUST be removed. The product will adhere just fine to the rust flakes but then the flakes fall off and you have to start touching up.

A turkey baster. Keep a little one handy. They are good for moving the POR-25 from the can into the painting jar. Also, if you are like me (i.e. no spray equipment), they work well for squirting into inaccessible corners.

Use 2 light coats - avoid heavy applications unless you are in a hard to reach place.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard that Eastwood Chassis paint is good too. Never tried it thought.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
thanx for all the good advice

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I got low gloss black rattle can paint from Napa and did mine, turned out very nice.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Using a lighter color will make it easier to see under there too

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

John Philip

Reaction score
First Name
dsvd
Truck Year
Truck Model
vdsv
Engine Size
dvdsv
Anyways now im getting an LSD gsr motor from HMO in about 3 weeks. so during my down time im doing a wire tuck/ ABS delete/ and e-bay painting. i want to TRY to do this the right way.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size