Emissions / vac line hookup questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
OK, so I'm going to take the '86 burb C-20 in for a shot at emissions later this week. The P/O had completely hacked up the vacuum lines and unhooked the emissions stuff. I've made a lot of headway, but I'm stuck right now because I think I'm missing the Distributor Delay valve completely, and I wanted to verify the other items.

Here are my questions:

-Have I labeled the valves in the pictures correctly?
-Do I hook the transmission vac governor to ported or full vacuum? (It had been hooked directly to port "J" in the vac diagram, but a bunch of other stuff was missing, plus it wasn't shifting great)
-The EFE valve is hard-lined into a port at the back of the manifold near the distributor; Anybody know what this is? Port to manifold vacuum? Thermal Switch? I can't place it on the vac diagram

Thanks in advance,
-Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20140520_192220.jpg
    IMG_20140520_192220.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20140520_192354.jpg
    IMG_20140520_192354.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20140520_192402.jpg
    IMG_20140520_192402.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20140520_192604.jpg
    IMG_20140520_192604.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 100

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
-Have I labeled the valves in the pictures correctly? -

Yes

-Do I hook the transmission vac governor to ported or full vacuum? (It had been hooked directly to port "J" in the vac diagram, but a bunch of other stuff was missing, plus it wasn't shifting great)

The vacuum signal to the transmission modulator needs to see full manifold vacuum. You have it plumbed correctly as shown in the image. The other branch is probably the vacuum supply to the HVAC system - it tee's off again to the spherical vacuum reservoir on the far LH side of the firewall.

-The EFE valve is hard-lined into a port at the back of the manifold near the distributor; Anybody know what this is? Port to manifold vacuum? Thermal Switch? I can't place it on the vac diagram

I am fairly certain this is how the EFE is connected:

You must be registered for see images attach

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
-Have I labeled the valves in the pictures correctly? -

Yes

The vacuum signal to the transmission modulator needs to see full manifold vacuum. You have it plumbed correctly as shown in the image. The other branch is probably the vacuum supply to the HVAC system - it tee's off again to the spherical vacuum reservoir on the far LH side of the firewall.

I am fairly certain this is how the EFE is connected:

FFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuuuu*****!!!!!!

You are correct, that line did trace back to EFE, and transmission was the one hooked into manifold vacuum.

P/O had EFE hooked into port "J" on vac diagram (ported vacuum?) and I thought it was transmission governor!

Between that and an uncapped port to manifold vacuum where the hard line going to the governor T's, I think this explains a lot of my issues.

I tried switching that line to direct manifold vacuum, thinking it was the shift gov, and it ran worse, so I switched it back. D'Oh!

Thanks!

-Josh

Last edited:

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size