Electrical and Harness Repair Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Randy De Oreo
Yeah, thanks. And with this latest problem I'm back to having to deal with what was done at the factory back in '73, because this truck was purchased by the first owner, in Nov. of '73, '74 new model year. And whoever it was at the factory did a lousy job in wiring the truck. Now stuff does go to where it's supposed to go and it is the right color and size but it is totally off the schematic. I suppose so long as the wires go to what they are supposed to go to is what is important, but dang it's next to impossible if you plan on going back to the schematic to see where that particular wire started from in the engine compartment to end up somewhere in the cab. Don't look at the schematic and then look down at the wires behind the fuse block because none of those wires are correct as to where they are supposed to be. It's maddening! But like now I'm trying to figure out what happened to make that alt. signal wire to fry but no fuses are blown and no other wires were burned. And it didn't catch fire after using that compressor on the first time I cranked the engine. Instead it caught fire after I shut the engine off then cranked it up again a minute later after arriving home. The whole thing is puzzling. I wish somebody who had a better understanding of how things in this truck work together could suggest what they think that alt. signal wire is doing made together with the 16 ga. orange wire on the ignition switch plug.
Today I thought i discovered what that signal wire there is for. I know this is getting kinda long so I'll try to be a brief as possible.
When the ignition switch is turned to start that orange wire is engaged. The 12v is sent back to the alternator triggering the voltage regulator to send 12v's to the alt. signal wire that goes to that red light in the instrument panel. If everything is okay the voltage regulator shuts the 12v off in the light and it goes out, and the alt. signal wire at the orange wire is disconnected from the circuit? It's not made to handle 12v's all the time, 'cause it's so small so it's taken out of the circuit by the voltage regulator.
But somehow it was not allowed to betaken out by the overload of that little compressor?? That's not right. See, I don't get it. If anybody has any ideas please let me know how that little wire got fried so I won't put a new one in and it gets fried again.
Also, remember when it was smoking I stopped and reached under the dash and grabbed the ignition switch wiring for some reason and all that wiring was hot. Why? But inspecting it later showed no fuses blown sans no other wires damaged even up on the ignition switch. Not that I can tell that is.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
@Raider L I’m going to go back through our threads. There were a couple of fellas here that sure helped us out on a few electrical mysteries and I will see who they are and you can direct message them. Your situation is quite complex. I feel guilty posting some of my little stuff after reading yours… can’t say I could handle what you’re dealing with

R & E

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg