Electric Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I know this has been talked about several times on here but lets face it. I have slept since then. Hoping to get all the facts in one place for future reference.

What vehicles work the best to grab the fans out of to cool these trucks and even the GMT400's?

Fact or Fiction? Electric fans improve fuel economy?

Theres a few peopleon here that I am really hoping to hear some input from, YOU KNOW WHO YALL ARE

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mid-90's Ford Windstar IMO is the better option. It has 2 fans and when wired independently from each other you have a backup if one fails. As far as fuel economy I'm sure it is slight, perhaps less than a mpg but you do get that seat-of-the-pants snappiness of not having the fan drag, maybe 5 HP gain. Some people also like the Lincoln MK IV (I think) since it is just one big fan that can fit inside the stock fan shroud but it looked to me like it would be close clearance between the water pump and fan, where the Windstar fans don't have an electric motor right in the middle at the water pump (2 fans, motors offset to the sides).

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
:happy160:
I know this has been talked about several times on here but lets face it. I have slept since then. Hoping to get all the facts in one place for future reference.

What vehicles work the best to grab the fans out of to cool these trucks and even the GMT400's?

Theres a few peopleon here that I am really hoping to hear some input from, YOU KNOW WHO YALL ARE

fact or fiction? who knows,, i ran electric fans,, but the alternator was working overtime trying to keep up with the demand,, so hp and mileage seemed to me to go down,, now if your a rock crawler or a freeway parking lot driver,, id go electric......

but i find that a good thermal clutch fan with 6 or 7 blades off a diesel truck works the best for me,, the clutch only works when idling in traffic and cuts in and out due to the thermal design in the clutch,, going down the road ya dont need it,, the wind going through the radiator is plenty and then go faster more wind,,, gas mileage seems to me to be better with a clutch fan type,, but then again thats only in my set up......

i run both,,, i use the stock thermal 7 blabe clutch fan for all around and flip the switch for up in the rocks and woods where there isnt much speed and the clutch fan just cant keep up do to low engine rpm..........

So best of both worlds for me i guess.............:happy160:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
:happy160:

fact or fiction? who knows,, i ran electric fans,, but the alternator was working overtime trying to keep up with the demand,, so hp and mileage seemed to me to go down,, now if your a rock crawler or a freeway parking lot driver,, id go electric......

but i find that a good thermal clutch fan with 6 or 7 blades off a diesel truck works the best for me,, the clutch only works when idling in traffic and cuts in and out due to the thermal design in the clutch,, going down the road ya dont need it,, the wind going through the radiator is plenty and then go faster more wind,,, gas mileage seems to me to be better with a clutch fan type,, but then again thats only in my set up......

i run both,,, i use the stock thermal 7 blabe clutch fan for all around and flip the switch for up in the rocks and woods where there isnt much speed and the clutch fan just cant keep up do to low engine rpm..........

So best of both worlds for me i guess.............:happy160:

interesting!!!! Any chance of getting some pictures of your set up? I do have to deal with the Houston traffic everyday so you could defintly say I am sitting in a freeway parking lot ALOT.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have Windstar fans on my Blazer, they work pretty well and were installed by the PO so I don't have a before/after comparo. I put Rendezvous fans on my '84 C10 and they work great, they can keep the motor cool in ANY condition. The motor does in fact feel a little more snappy, but I did not notice a gain in mpg (I check it often). They were also extremely easy to mount and they are GM parts.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I have Windstar fans on my Blazer, they work pretty well and were installed by the PO so I don't have a before/after comparo. I put Rendezvous fans on my '84 C10 and they work great, they can keep the motor cool in ANY condition. The motor does in fact feel a little more snappy, but I did not notice a gain in mpg (I check it often). They were also extremely easy to mount and they are GM parts.

pictures of the buick fans installed?

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Ive got a set of Tahoe fans that were on an 08 they need some fiberglass work to repair the plastic but they will work great i think.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
How wide are the Rendezvous fans? I would like to put a set on the Blazer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'll have to go measure, but they are a perfect match for the width of my stock radiator core.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
interesting!!!! Any chance of getting some pictures of your set up? I do have to deal with the Houston traffic everyday so you could defintly say I am sitting in a freeway parking lot ALOT.

sorry i havent got back to ya,, but my world kinda took a turn to ****..

i have a couple pics?

but ya cant see ****................

i will ,,,,,,ummm. take a shot of a 7 blade fan done right...

fat assed rad and fan for a big block setup.. hang in there?

And mine is a small block setup with all BIG block ****.......

i will try to give ya real clean pics.......

wee old folk are just a bit slower than them new woooper snapers........

hahahahahah, :sleepy: :Nonono: :pimp:

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 7-blade fan, Hayden 2747 HD fan clutch, MotoRad 2000-160 t-stat w/bypass drilled, and a chopped up NBS Silverado shroud on the cammed 454 under the hood of my brother's squarebody. Those parts combined with full vacuum advance ignition timing has it running around 190 at idle and around 180 cruising. Works great and no worries about motors burning out, wiring problems, stressing alternator, or blown fuses. Just good old-fashioned "mechanical" cooling.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I'm probably not one you were hoping to hear some input from, but I'll give it anyway. Are you looking at getting another square?

For sure, I do believe Electric fans can improve fuel economy. No, they won't CREATE more horsepower, but they will certainly FREE UP a few horsepower from parasitic hp loss. Especially on warmer days when the clutch fan is running at almost full lock up. Even without clutch fan lock up, it's still lighter weight and less drag. I even noticed a difference on my 64 GMC when I went from a Flex A Lite fan to E Fans.

You must be registered for see images attach

Should be the same as Venture, Montana, etc.

That looks to be a hell of a set up there with a real nice fit too. I'll certainly be looking for these next trip to PAP. If I had my way, all of my squares will be E Fans. I also like that fact of alot less cluter in front of the motor when it comes to working on the front of your motor. Like this Harmonic Balancer project I finally tackled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes