Edelbrock questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To start off I have a 305 with a 600CFM Edelbrock carb. I notice that I smell gas badly. The filters all have been changed out. See no leaks. She does have her issues of hard starts. I have linked it to being too big off a carb for it. I've looked up if I have the right carb and what I have been told is that 600CFM is for 350 and up. 500CFM is for 350 and under. I am confused cause when I look up replacement Q-jets they say 750CFM. I do realize the front butterfly's are smaller and the back ones are bigger. How would a 600 cfm carb be too much when factory is 750CFM? From what I take from it I am too small in the carb department lol.

I guess I could give you more specs on the engine. 305 bored .040 over, summit racing intake, summit racing headers, Ngk Spark plugs, Accel spark plug wires. The cam is barely bigger then the factory one. That's about it. It's driving me up the wall. I am always having to adjust it when temps change. She should start when its hot out but I have to choke it sometimes. Heck sometimes once it's warmed up and I go some where and park, when I come out and start it she cranks for a while before starting. This brand hasn't made me happy at all. I may just go back to Holley.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
600 cfm should be fine. I had a 600cfm on a 302 Ford so.

Hard starting usually points to the ignition and not fuel. What is your timing set at? Do not go by what your hood sticker says since you've built it up a little. 10-14 degrees BTDC would be good for you.

Also, what is your fuel pressure? No more than 7.5 psi is recommended for carb applications and no less than 4.5-5 psi. Check your fuel bowl float level too. That can cause all kind of problems if it isn't set correctly.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Sounds like you may need smaller jets. All the carbed 305 engines came with 750 Q Jets from the factory. You can call Edelbrock and get the proper jets and rods.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The truck is just trying to tell you it wants a Holley or a Quadrajet.

Hehehe...

:popcorn:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Pfft, I would prefer an Edelbrock over the Holley I have now.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Pfft, I would prefer an Edelbrock over the Holley I have now.

You would want that worn out Holley back real quick. Eddys have a float bowl capacity problem where fuel washes away from the jets...there is a reason you dont see them in NASCAR.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
You would want that worn out Holley back real quick. Eddys have a float bowl capacity problem where fuel washes away from the jets...there is a reason you dont see them in NASCAR.

Cause they run fuel injection? :D

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
lol thanks guys. I have it timed at 4 degrees. I tried 10 and she don't run right. I haven't replaced the dis cap in awhile and the pump probably does need replaced since it's the factory one lol. Yeah I haven't updated it either lol. I have to recheck my stuff again to be sure I didn't mess something up. Now that I think about it I better check it out tomorrow. Hope I feel better tomorrow. Allergies kicking my ass lol. I do know she cuts out sometimes cruising. Stumbles a little. I think shes telling me get a damn diesel in her. Before she broke down before the rebuild she did diesel a lot lol. Yeah had q-jet set too fast. Sounded cool lol. Too bad it's a gas though. An actual diesel sounds better lol. We will see how much I make at this job I got. 5 yrs without work sucked. Granted I will be making doughnuts instead of slinging wrenchs on a tractor or semi, works work.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
lol thanks guys. I have it timed at 4 degrees. I tried 10 and she don't run right. I haven't replaced the dis cap in awhile and the pump probably does need replaced since it's the factory one lol. Yeah I haven't updated it either lol. I have to recheck my stuff again to be sure I didn't mess something up. Now that I think about it I better check it out tomorrow. Hope I feel better tomorrow. Allergies kicking my ass lol. I do know she cuts out sometimes cruising. Stumbles a little. I think shes telling me get a damn diesel in her. Before she broke down before the rebuild she did diesel a lot lol. Yeah had q-jet set too fast. Sounded cool lol. Too bad it's a gas though. An actual diesel sounds better lol. We will see how much I make at this job I got. 5 yrs without work sucked. Granted I will be making doughnuts instead of slinging wrenchs on a tractor or semi, works work.

did you try to tune the curb idle and mixture on the carb after you set it to 10 BTDC?

They go hand in hand with the timing.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'll have to do that. I have a new problem now. Well I've had it since I owned the truck. I'll post it in electrical section. I might just do that today if I feel like it. Oh yeah before I forget I noticed that when I run my truck I see water droplets coming out the exhaust. I noticed it more when I run it in the garage cause I can see the drops on the floor. Also notice a line down the middle of the floor that looks like coolant drops but doesn't smell like it. Surely that truck doesn't have that much condensation coming out the exhaust. I think I will take a swipe at the carb tomorrow and see what happens. Check the floats out and reset the timing too. Then go from there. Now off to the electrical section.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll have to do that. I have a new problem now. Well I've had it since I owned the truck. I'll post it in electrical section. I might just do that today if I feel like it. Oh yeah before I forget I noticed that when I run my truck I see water droplets coming out the exhaust. I noticed it more when I run it in the garage cause I can see the drops on the floor. Also notice a line down the middle of the floor that looks like coolant drops but doesn't smell like it. Surely that truck doesn't have that much condensation coming out the exhaust. I think I will take a swipe at the carb tomorrow and see what happens. Check the floats out and reset the timing too. Then go from there. Now off to the electrical section.

Does the condensation ever subside? Nebraska is pretty cold right about now, No?

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yeah it is getting pretty damn cold right now. 34 degrees right now. Been getting below freezing last two nights. Anyways I reset the timing and wow she really purs now and starts like a freaking dream. Smooth idle and has power. Also replace the TV cable seal and the trans stopped leaking. That old seal was trashed. Now I got a rattle in the exhaust. The pipe is hitting the cross member so I am planing on getting a full exhaust on it instead of messing with it. Nice dual 2 1/2" exhaust to the back bumper. Thinking about putting on Super 40's from flowmaster but I don't know yet. Might just use my thrush super turbos. Well one of them at least cause that's all I have is one lol. Put some nice chrome tips on the tails. If everything that I have worked on stays I can start on the interior next spring. Get new carpet and sound deadning. Repaint everything black. I have a long list of things to do still lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda