Edelbrock idle adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10 with a 350 with an edelbrock carb, msd ignition, and a mild cam in it.

My friends dad had adjusted the idle mixture screws (On these carbs, are these exactly the same as the idle speed screws?), but had done it in park. Now, when im sitting at a light or something in drive, it idles a lot lower and seems close to dieing out, at like 500 or 550 RPMS

When im in park, it idles great and smoothly, but i put it in drive (Really 3rd because i have a 700r4 and 33's in a k10), it bogs down a bit, i'd just assume because its putting more of a load on the engine so it takes the RPM's down a little.

If i jst go to turn these screws while im ingear, while the engines hot, and i get it to sound like it should when idling, this wont hurt anything, turning the screws back and forth till it sound good, right?

Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10 with a 350 with an edelbrock carb, msd ignition, and a mild cam in it.

My friends dad had adjusted the idle mixture screws (On these carbs, are these exactly the same as the idle speed screws?), but had done it in park. Now, when im sitting at a light or something in drive, it idles a lot lower and seems close to dieing out, at like 500 or 550 RPMS

When im in park, it idles great and smoothly, but i put it in drive (Really 3rd because i have a 700r4 and 33's in a k10), it bogs down a bit, i'd just assume because its putting more of a load on the engine so it takes the RPM's down a little.

If i jst go to turn these screws while im ingear, while the engines hot, and i get it to sound like it should when idling, this wont hurt anything, turning the screws back and forth till it sound good, right?

Thanks!

NO! The idle mixture screws are for exactly that air/fuel mixture adjustment that the idle circuit uses. WHat you want to adjust is the idle speed screw which is on the drivers side under the throttle shaft linkage. Turn in to add idle speed, turn out to decrease idle speed.

VERY IMPORTANT! Do not make adjustments with the vehicle in gear! EVER!

Adjust the idle speed screw with the vehicle in park, then go into the vehicle put it in gear and see what you got. If need be then readjust and try again.

Usually there is a 100-150 rpm drop from park to drive.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
NO! The idle mixture screws are for exactly that air/fuel mixture adjustment that the idle circuit uses. WHat you want to adjust is the idle speed screw which is on the drivers side under the throttle shaft linkage. Turn in to add idle speed, turn out to decrease idle speed.

VERY IMPORTANT! Do not make adjustments with the vehicle in gear! EVER!

Adjust the idle speed screw with the vehicle in park, then go into the vehicle put it in gear and see what you got. If need be then readjust and try again.

Usually there is a 100-150 rpm drop from park to drive.

Ok, thanks!
Im pretty sure it drops like 150 or so
And ill do it the way your saying.

Just wondering, whats the reason for not adjusting the idle speed in gear? How i had thought of doing it( Not doing it this way now though, thanks to your advice) was to have someone in the vehicle put it in gear while holding brake, and pull e brake at same time.

Thanks again!!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And then their foot slips off the brake onto the gas because it turns out their shoes are slick-bottomed, and the engine overpowers the e-brake and the only thing left to do is take you to the morgue.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Your really need a vac gauge to properly set them, but it can be closely set without.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Rich is correct I was speaking of the idle mix screws. Side note. When I had my eddy on the one thing I could count on was being able to idle at a smooth lopey 300rpm with the AC on :)... AC didn't cool but the truck sounded bad ass! If you set your idle mix screws correctly with a vac gauge and have your timing set accordingly you'll never have to worry about it bogging :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
The Edelbrock carbs are fantastic!
But ONLY if you get the calibration kit and follow the instructions carefully to dial it in. Trust me when I say it's worth twice what the kit cost!
I fix these all the time, but the best example yet is a pal with a '63 Riviera equipped with a 401 and 2 speed Hydra-matic. It used to be a wallowing slug, unable to get out of its own way. Now he can't stop frying the tires! No BS! 30 minutes and a calibration kit!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I should give it a shot on mine! I have had that thought in my head for some time now.

Edelbrock says it is calibrated for stock applications right out of the box, but it sure runs like crap compared to my q jet when it was in top shape.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I really don't like not being able to adjust the fast idle on the eddies.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The Edelbrock carbs are fantastic!
But ONLY if you get the calibration kit and follow the instructions carefully to dial it in. Trust me when I say it's worth twice what the kit cost!

I've never been able to make heads or tails out of their calibration instructions.

I just put an A/FR meter on the truck and then dialed the numbers in.

You're right, though. Calibration is key.

Any properly tuned carb will outperform any untuned carb, regardless of manufacturer.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I've never been able to make heads or tails out of their calibration instructions.

I just put an A/FR meter on the truck and then dialed the numbers in.

You're right, though. Calibration is key.

Any properly tuned carb will outperform any untuned carb, regardless of manufacturer.

Did you meter cruise and wide open throttle under a load? If not, you've only addressed idle. There is a LOT of gain to be had with the needles and springs. Maybe more in the main jets.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you meter cruise and wide open throttle under a load? If not, you've only addressed idle. There is a LOT of gain to be had with the needles and springs. Maybe more in the main jets.

Yes, of course. I installed a seven-wire NGK O2 sensor, and had the A/FR meter on the truck for a month while I made adjustments. When I had it dialed in, I pulled the meter and sensor and corked the sensor bung.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Yes, of course. I installed a seven-wire NGK O2 sensor, and had the A/FR meter on the truck for a month while I made adjustments. When I had it dialed in, I pulled the meter and sensor and corked the sensor bung.

Nice! I bet that was worth every penny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lorisa2u