Edelbrock Carb Choke Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trucknut85

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Truck: 1985 chevy K10 with 5.7L
I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke that i have hooked into the factory choke wire (light blue) that runs from the oil pressure switch. First question, will the factory choke wire supply a full 12V of power to choke when oil pressure switch is activated? Second, with the key in the on position (truck not running) the factory choke wire (light blue) is already showing voltage. Is my pressure switch wired wrong, as i didn't think there should be voltage until there is oil pressure. Or is the pressure switch faulty thus letting voltage thru regardless of whether the engine is running or not. The choke negative side is grounded to the alternator bracket. I know you can just run switched 12v from fuse box to power the choke, but i'd like to be able to leave the key on without the coil heating up.

Last edited:

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Have a Edel 1406 as well. Was running it for about 2 years with the choke wire disconnected, it ran like sh!t every morning till warmed up. A friend of mine suggested that I 'hook up the lectric choke'. The oil pressure switch on my engine is totally missing (actually very tight back there on my truck, very little clearance to install the switch), so I just hooked up the switch wire direct to the Edel electric choke, adjusted choke out, truck now starts like a dream. So to answer your question, yes your engine oil pressure actuated choke switch is not functioning properly (either bypassed or failed), you will heat up the choke with the key on, but in the grand scheme of things it is a livable situation IMHO.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd say your switch is bad or someone has bypassed it. Does the oil pressure light come on with ignition on but engine not running?

The switch is available from just about any parts store. I was just looking at close-out specials for my 82 at rockauto.com, and saw one of those switches for dirt cheap. But first follow the choke wire to make sure it's properly connected to the switch, and check the switch to make sure it switches on/off with engine running/stopped. Could be someone connected the choke wire to an IGN source, as instructed to do in the carb owners manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
black_85c10