Edelbrock 750 miss of the line....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allwheelz

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 sbc
Anyone else experience this....its a brand new carb, from 1/4 to 1/2, 1/2 to wot the truck just comes to life, but from an idle it is just performing poorly. It might be too much carb for the engine, but I think it should be better then what it is. 350 block, .040 over, which makes it a 357. The cam I went with was pretty big for street use, 503, from what I've read the lack of vaccum at idle might not be sufficient enough to get the fuel rolling from the start. Sm 465 tranny, 315/70r16 tires, not sure of the gear ratio but I'm pretty sure its up there. I just went through the distributer this morning, replacing the pick up ring, ignition module, and coil, and the wires and plugs aren't that old, along with plenty of room for the wires so theyre not cooking. Time to tear into the carb, just wondering what to look for. I purchased it brand new, but one thing that concerns me is upon initial firing of the engine after rebuild, I had some good backfires due to my crappy timing efforts. maybe something happened there.:shrug:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Two things right off for off-idle problems:

Have you adjusted your accelerator pump shot?

Do you have the vacuum advance plugged into manifold vacuum?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And make sure timing is set/working correctly..

allwheelz

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 sbc
Rich, I've tried all three holes for the pump, with no improvement. I just came back from checking the float height, 7/16, and they were off a bit but not by much. Also, tried both ports for my timing advance, again with no difference. Maybe that's the problem, i'm thinking I should've noticed at least a little difference with the port swap. Maybe I need to look into new weights and springs for the distributer. I'm thinking my best bet right now is to swap the edelbrock off my monte carlo onto the truck, just to pinpoint a little better. And the big one, invest in a timing light....

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
And a vacuum guage too.

Jim Hensley

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
return the POS and get a summit street strip carb, they are 3 times better than a edelbrock gas guzzler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli