Edelbrock 1406 Fuel leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Pulled all plugs and cleaned them. They were mostly black and oily. For what it’s worth, I replaced them over the summer. Pinched the fuel line with needle nosed type vice grips and followed the sequence you prescribed x 4. Seemed to attempt to start (l’m talking like 1/2 of a second) the very first time I cranked it but not again after that.

Really appreciate your help. Have a newborn at home and it’s been pretty cold here so I’m doing what I can when I can.

Eric

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay choke plate still open about 1 tablespoon fuel down each primary 1/2 throttle crank it just like last time. Be ready to let off the throttle if it starts

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Copy. Fuel line still pinched closed?

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks!

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Seems to be attempting to start (that 1/2 second “hesitation” if you will) on a more regular basis but still no dice...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Did you clean the plugs as Matt suggested?

This is tough without hearing it. Is it starting briefly and then out of the fuel you put down the throat? If so give it a little more.

When is the last time this thing ran?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Try holding the pedal to the floor while cranking. Use a screwdriver or some other method to hold the choke plate fully open. It may take awhile to clear things out, if it ran before you attempted to clean out the float it should run again

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I ran into a similar situation and it was my module.They just go bad sometimes for whatever reason.I’d keep that 175$ and do the carb yourself.There is so much help on YouTube and in this forum.

Besides,you’ll know how to do it next time there’s issues or just maintaining it.The 1406 is a good carb to start with.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I put over 2500 miles on the truck in 2020. I last started it up on 12/11 after filling both tanks with fresh fuel and adding the recommended amount of Stabil to each tank. I ran the truck for 10 minutes on each of the two tanks. At that time it ran it for 20 minutes without any issues whatsoever.

This issue only presented itself when I attempted to start it up to run it to keep the battery charged, circulate the fluids etc.

I removed all 8 plugs and cleaned them after Matt69olds suggested it.

The engine has not actually started since my original post. What I attempted to relay is that the engine seemed to be trying to do more than just crank.

I replaced the ignition control module, as well as the coil, cap, rotor, plugs & wires this past summer.

Based on the info I provided, is it safe to say that the issue is with the carburetor itself?

Eric

Last edited:

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@84K30 I stand by my initial reply. Both Ricko1966 and Matt69olds helped me work through a very similar problem. I took the carb off the intake to be extra careful with not accidentally dropping screws, but took the top off cleaned everything and removed the floats to get to the seat and it started right up after it primed. I did have to reset the choke, but since then all is good.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you've pinched off fuel.And your adding fuel your self and it still doesn't start something else is going on. They'll run without a carburetor at all if fuel is supplied and everything else is right. Do not try it!!!!! Just take my word for it with no throttle plates it is wide open and then some and no way to bring it down other than the key. Have you messed with anything else?

Are you using fresh fuel? Are you sure the fuel line is blocked.?Are there any hoses, pcv, brake booster etc disconnected? Have you touched the distributor at all?

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Fuel that I’ve been putting down the primaries is from a plastic tank that I filled about a month ago. It also has Stabil in it. I’ll pick up a can of ethanol free fuel from Ace tomorrow to rule the out. The fuel line is clamped as well as I can with the tools I have on hand. I’ll pick up a pair of fuel line pliers tomorrow too.

Brakes are hydro boost. PCV is hooked up and was replaced this summer as well. I did not mess with the distributor between the period when it ran well and when my issue started.

The only thing I did during that period was was replace a leaking hydro boost seal.

Eric

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You can pull the fuel line at the carb put a bolt in it and clamp it. Use some fresh fuel . post results.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Picked up some canned 92 ethanol free fuel today. Then life got in the way. Hoping to try what you, Ricko1966, suggested tomorrow.

When I get around to it, hopefully tomorrow, should I work the throttle linkage to open the primary throttle blades when adding fuel or add it with the throttle closed?

Eric

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK