Edelbrock 1406 Fuel leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
When I went to start my pickup today to keep the battery charged and seals lubed (been stored in the garage since late November due to our crappy winters and an abundance of road salt used in PA) fuel began gushing out of both of the ports near where the step up piston is located. Any ideas what could be causing this. Fuel was fresh and I added stabil (and ran truck for several minutes per directions) prior to winter storage.

Also, looking for carb suggestions in the event this is a major issue. Engine is a stock 454 that will eventually be rebuilt a little more aggressively.

Thanks!
Eric

You must be registered for see images attach

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just worked through a bunch of problems on my truck and one of them was the same issue you’re having. It was a stuck float and the needles were gummed up from not driving it in a good while. Disconnected the 3 points of linkage, took the screws out of the top, set the floats to 7/16” with a drill bit, cleaned the needles/seats with carb cleaner, put it back together. I did have to remove the rods and springs from the top to it seat. It took 15 minutes. Also, I did have to make the choke fatter with the weather. Received some great advice from some folks on the forum.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I would also believe the float is stuck or dirt in the needle and seat. Some tricks for dirty needles stuck seats .1 pinch the fuel hose shut . Blip the throttle a couple of times continue until the car dies, immediately release the pinch on the hose the rush of fuel under pressure will some times wash off the needle. Another is tap fairly hard but use some common sense all a around the fuel inlet of the carb with a very small hammer or backside of a pair of vice grips this will often times unstuck a needle or float

Last edited:

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I would pull the carb off and do a cleaning/inspection on it.The last thing you want is a engine fire.Trust me.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks to all of those who responded.

Followed the advice of Ricko1966 and the fuel leak issue seems to be resolved. However, my truck will still not start. Seems to just be cranking. Working the linkage manually does not spray fuel into the bowls as it did prior to parking it. I should mention that the fuel filter (one of those Edelbrock aluminum ones) was also leaking. That has since been resolved too. Is it possible air got into the system or would cranking the motor push any air out?

Looking more and more like I may end up having to pull the carb for further inspection...

-Eric

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ricko1966 gives sound advice. He’s who primarily helped me fix my fuel and fire issue. Still think you have a stuck float and gummed up needle/seat. Cranks, runs for 15 seconds, coughs, sputters, chokes out then dies and will probably do the same thing if you let it sit for a half hour then try again. That was my issue. I was getting really frustrated until Ricko1966 steered me in the right direction. Enough kissing ass

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The 2 spots where you were leaking fuel put gas in a dish soap bottle with gas in it and fill the carb through those holes. Pump the throttle once or twice and listen for squirt. See if it starts and runs then Watch for it overfill again though.

Last edited:

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I’ll give that a try and report back.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Poured fuel down those ports and still am not getting any squirt. Engine turns over but still not even attempting to start. Did get a very small amount of smoke coming from the carb at one point. Approximately how much fuel should I be putting down each hole?

Thanks!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
A couple maybe 3 tablespoons. Nm put a couple tbs right down the throat of the carb. Is the choke open at all?

Last edited:

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Chose plate is closed all but maybe a 1/4”. Should I put fuel down the “throats” of the barrels covered by the choke plate or the rear barrels? Also, should I be doing this in addition to fuel in those ports?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Drained my battery the other day and discovered my charger had **** the bed after it would only click after being on the charger overnight.

thanks again, Ricko1966

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Don't even mess with filling the float bowls through the vent tubes.Thats what I was trying to teach you but.Im not there to watch and your not real expierienced. So take your dish soap bottle squirt about a tablespoon of gas down each primary throttle bore.(choke plate side) pump the throttle once and hit the key. If it starts and dies repeat the process 3 or 4 times and see if it primes and runs.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Tried what you suggest but still not even trying to start.

I confirmed, via an inline spark tester that I am getting spark. I also changed my fuel filter to a clear one so that I could see that fuel was making it to the carburetor.

I also tried tapping around the fuel inlet some more. Do you happen to have any more suggestions?

If not, my next step is to remove the carb for good cleaning/rebuild.

Was quoted $175 by a local shop for a rebuild if I happen to mess it up.

Thanks, Eric

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I’m betting the engine is flooded. The plugs are probably so fuel fouled it isn’t going to start.

Pull a couple spark plugs, if they are wet with fuel you have found your problem. Either replace them or attempt to clean them off with a wire wheel and reinstall. Chances are good they may foul up again until you get your carb problem solved. I’d probably try and clean them off first, then replace them once your sure the problem is fixed.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Busy right now. wedge the choke open with a stick. Pinch the fuel line shut hold It floored and crank like 20 seconds wait a minute still floored crank again repeat a few times post results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL