Edelbrock 1406 Fuel leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I have 12v at the cap. Rotor and cap are new this year. I did not see any cracks in the cap and the contacts appeared clean. Picture of rotor is attached. Changed the ICM but still not starting. Pickup coil will be here tomorrow. I REALLY don't want to pull the distributor but if that is what it takes... I am picking up a new ignition coil to try that first.

-Eric

You must be registered for see images attach

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was having a very similar problem for the last couple of months. I kept throwing money at it for new parts and finally, fingers crossed, found the problem was erratic pressure from my fuel pump. I didn’t have a regulator or gauge on the fuel line, but installed one to find my pressure was bouncing around between 2-11 pounds, which caused my needles to float and crank but not fire or fire and run for 30 seconds or less. I replaced the pump with a Carter M6626 ($16.31 through Summit) and the truck engine started right up. I dialed the fuel pressure back from 6.5 to 6 and the engine idle smoothed out and runs fine now. Overall, I thought my pump was good, because it was filling up a jug. But the pressure was way off causing problems with the Edelbrock 1406. The prior Quadrajet was much more forgiving with pressure. If you have a way to check fuel pressure I’d suggest seeing if you have a similar problem. If I would’ve started there I would saved quit a bit of money.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I was having a very similar problem for the last couple of months. I kept throwing money at it for new parts and finally, fingers crossed, found the problem was erratic pressure from my fuel pump. I didn’t have a regulator or gauge on the fuel line, but installed one to find my pressure was bouncing around between 2-11 pounds, which caused my needles to float and crank but not fire or fire and run for 30 seconds or less. I replaced the pump with a Carter M6626 ($16.31 through Summit) and the truck engine started right up. I dialed the fuel pressure back from 6.5 to 6 and the engine idle smoothed out and runs fine now. Overall, I thought my pump was good, because it was filling up a jug. But the pressure was way off causing problems with the Edelbrock 1406. The prior Quadrajet was much more forgiving with pressure. If you have a way to check fuel pressure I’d suggest seeing if you have a similar problem. If I would’ve started there I would saved quit a bit of money.
That is one of the reasons I told him to pinch the fuel line closed. Hopefully it is and has been. But it sounds like he doesn't have good spark.

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I thought my prior coil was over heating or something like that, because it tested out fine on a multimeter, but the engine would choke and stall at stop lights. I wasn’t able to get it to fire with adding fuel or using starter fluid. It was driving me nuts and I had to be getting on your last nerve. Just sharing my experience. Might be completely different issue, but seems too familiar by what’s been explained and shared.

Last edited:

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Fuel line is pinched off. Spark seems more regular with the new ICM but still weak. Going to change the ignition coil tomorrow to see if that does anything. If not, I’ll put the “old” one back in. All these parts are ACDelco. Not that that means anything since they’re now made in Mexico and China.

I found a link on a link explaining how to test for the pickup coil.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/is-there-a-way-to-test-an-hei-module.706237/

Planning on trying that out before pulling the distributor.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

-Eric

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Up and running again. The ignition coil was bad. Thankfully it is under warranty.

Ran it for 30 minutes in the driveway the put it back in the garage until spring. Plan to start it every weekend until then.

Thanks to everyone, especially @Ricko1966, for all of your assistance.

-Eric

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78