Economy TBI for 292

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Finally getting around to building my economy TBI for my 292 L6.

Got the manifold and a throttle body.

You must be registered for see images attach

In case that unit looks small, it is. This is the 2.8/3.1 V6 unit. With the original 1bbl being only rated at 250 CFM, I think the smaller unit is more appropriate for a stock 292. I will be running V8 injectors.

Got a free harness, and then some, from a great guy that had saved too much from parting a '93 Suburban.

Got everything stripped out and got it to this point. This is where I reconnected the diagnostic terminal to the ECM harness after separating it from the cross-vehicle harness.

The 'finished' product, ready for a test fit.

A close up of the speed sensor (VSS) wiring (top left, 2K Dodge speed sensor, speedometer cable driven), and the GMT 400 terminal block. A cable comes up from the starter to power the terminal block. The computer is powered and protected by a fusible link, while the injectors and fuel pump relay are on their own fuses. I added these for troubleshooting.

Close up of the diagnostic terminal. The wire to the brake switch and the Service Engine Soon light are sticking out of the harness for connection inside the truck.

Close up of the injector connections, sensor and ground connections. I've got to change the distributor connector (bottom) from the small HEI to the large HEI connector. I may need to lengthen this part of the harness at the same time.

I intend to run a '427 ECM.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What a great idea! I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one as well. If you need a MEMCAL to play with I can send you one. I honestly don’t know if it’s any good, but if you want to try it for whatever reason, it’s yours.

:popcorn:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
What a great idea! I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one as well. If you need a MEMCAL to play with I can send you one. I honestly don’t know if it’s any good, but if you want to try it for whatever reason, it’s yours.

:popcorn:
I appreciate that, but I think I'm good for now. I have collected a few, and do have a '95 TBI V6 MEMCAL which gives me at least one appropriate
CALPAK for limp home.
My dilemma right now is whether I want to go TunerPro RT or Tunercat. I have a MPFI idea on the horizon for the Caprice (still using the LG4, but not TPI), and it will probably be with a '427 computer too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88