ECM/Dizzy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Did this guy just delete the ECM with that dizzy and he says mallroy did he mean Mallory.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Guy tells the truth anyhow, lol, just don't know how to read, it is a "Mallory"..

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
hmm seems to work better then the stock ECM. I have the same engine just a 1987 tbi. so I wonder if i could do the same. have some issues that i read on here could be related to the ECM. Rough idle on start but when warms up idles fine. Then while driving give it a little bit of gas and it kinda bogs down for a few seconds then gets back up into the right acceleration. or sometimes while driving and give a little more gas she'll lurch a little then get back into regular acceleration. I've read it could be a circuit in the ECM that could be fried.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm, sounds just like one of mine is doing, and just like the guy in the video says it's a total POS, and it belongs in the trash can headin for the dump, lol...

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Well I think I might try this was trying to see if anyone had done and had more information.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
hmm seems to work better then the stock ECM. I have the same engine just a 1987 tbi. so I wonder if i could do the same. have some issues that i read on here could be related to the ECM. Rough idle on start but when warms up idles fine. Then while driving give it a little bit of gas and it kinda bogs down for a few seconds then gets back up into the right acceleration. or sometimes while driving and give a little more gas she'll lurch a little then get back into regular acceleration. I've read it could be a circuit in the ECM that could be fried.

Ehh, I fervently disagree with the guy in the video. Problems arise sometimes, but 9.5/10 times, they can be addressed easily and expediently. What all have you done to it?

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ehh, I fervently disagree with the guy in the video. Problems arise sometimes, but 9.5/10 times, they can be addressed easily and expediently. What all have you done to it?
nothing I was going to check the fuel filter. well change it. the rough idle on start has been happening since I have had it for 2 years.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

X2. And not to mention that - in many cases- the ECM does a lot more than just control spark timing. Think TCC operation for one example.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
nothing I was going to check the fuel filter. well change it. the rough idle on start has been happening since I have had it for 2 years.

I’d do that first. They’ll run crappier over the years without replacing certain things when they start to have issues. I’d check for vacuum leaks and fuel pressure first. This could include a faulty PCV valve, bad TBI base gasket, stuck or leaky EGR valve, play in the throttle shaft, or any of the lines and fittings going to the vacuum stuff. Besides the base gasket, you can plug things off and see if it idles better and go from there. For the gasket, you should get a baby can of starting fluid and spray around the edge to see if there’s a change in idle speed. If going through those systems doesn’t net any improvement, it sounds at face value like you might have an issue with your IAC valve and possibly your TPS. It never hurts to do an ignition tuneup, which should include a coolant temp sensor on a TBI. Finally, I think the circuit you’re talking about is the ESC circuit. That wasn’t integrated until 92-93 when they switched to a PCM instead of an ECM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64