74 C10 will occasionally turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotten 1

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey there, just picked up a '74 C10 with a 350 and adjustable steering column. Went to start it up and nothing happens when I turn the key in the ignition. Battery is good - and when i insert the key it sounds like a blower starts up. I asked the previous owner if he ever had issues and he said "move the steering column, sometimes that helps". I did and it did. But today I tried to fire it up and nothing. moved the steering column to various positions and got it to turn over maybe 10% of the time in different positions.

To me this seems like a pinch or worn wire in the steering column, but before I start digging around wanted to get some input. Anyone ever heard of this?

Do I just pull the entire steering column and trace wires from the ignition?

Thanks and have a nice day

Chris

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yep, those early C10s, the blower motor is always running when the ignition is on.

It sounds like either pinched wires or one of the rods is out of adjustment. My truck won't start with the column tilted all the way up, but has no issue anywhere else. I'd probably start by pulling just the top of the column apart to inspect. But, if your tilt is loose, now would be a good time to just rebuild the whole thing

Rotten 1

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, looks like I have a new weekend plan!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad