Dumping Pickup Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Not sure if I should you put this is the build thead area.
When I do the resto on my 1983 K20, like to build a dumping bed. Going to build my own deal, not buying one of the kits. This will not be for show. Like to see some pics.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
You must be registered for see images attach
My grandpa put this on his truck about 1978, I was about five when he did it. I can’t tell you the times it has been used over the years. A real back saver for sure. This is after I re-bodied it due to an extreme amount of rust.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That sure would be handy, wish I could find one. @71RAT keep us posted if you make your own, or if someone has plans for one, I would be interested. I assume the hydraulics could also run off the PTO, @Lugnut was the one on your truck a kit? Doesn't look homemade.

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
That sure would be handy, wish I could find one. @71RAT keep us posted if you make your own, or if someone has plans for one, I would be interested. I assume the hydraulics could also run off the PTO, @Lugnut was the one on your truck a kit? Doesn't look homemade.

Probably will use an electric hydraulic unit, with a diverter valve. Then I can run the dump piston or plow. If I run a mechanical pump, it would be belt driven with the electronic clutch.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size

Yes it was a kit, He told me that he got a big break on the price of the kit if he bought 3 kits. I remember him telling me that he went to Atlanta to pick them up and a couple of his buddies wanted one also. I just barely remember 3 trucks with their beds off in his yard one weekend putting them on. One of the other trucks still is running around also. I have a picture somewhere where he had a comealong hanging from a oak tree holding the front of the bed up and a 2x4 under it for safety. lol

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yes it was a kit, He told me that he got a big break on the price of the kit if he bought 3 kits. I remember him telling me that he went to Atlanta to pick them up and a couple of his buddies wanted one also. I just barely remember 3 trucks with their beds off in his yard one weekend putting them on. One of the other trucks still is running around also. I have a picture somewhere where he had a comealong hanging from a oak tree holding the front of the bed up and a 2x4 under it for safety. lol
What did you do with you gas filler neck/necks?

Allan Abley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Have friend that converted hydraulic lift from older farm barge box. he is using electric pump. I will see if i can get some pics.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
What did you do with you gas filler neck/necks?

Welded a bracket to the frame and run it toward the rear tire. You can still get to it with the bed down.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Not mine, but one I pulled off the internet years ago. It's the only photo I have. The yellow lines were drawn in to show how a old kit used to fill both tanks at once.

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Excellent! Thank you for all the pictures, gives me some good ideas. Hopefully helps out some others also!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
My grandfather had a early 70s one ton truck with a dump bed that fit inside the factory bed. I have never seen another one. He had a lawn and garden maintenance business, that truck was beat to hell when it finally died. I really wish I knew then what I knew now, I’m sure the truck was worth far more in parts than it would have been complete. In the mid 80s it was just a beat up junk truck truck at the time.

Is anyone familiar with the slide in dump bed that was in that truck?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Craig 85,

Well, I couldn't imagine what a dump bed in a truck bed would've looked like, at all. But now I see. That's amazing. So if your bed is 4x8 a long bed, what does the dump bed measure inside? It's still pretty cool. I went on that site to. How did you find that site?

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Lugnut,

So, that's your dump truck now? It looks great! In your other photos, talk about being able to get to your tank so you can keep it clean, and the frame and everything. I have been trying to clean the top of my tank for some time now and it looks like I'm going to have to drop the damn thing so I can clean it up and put some new hoses on it. I tried to get my hand in there to change out some hoses here recently when I was doing all that work underneath, and I couldn't even get my hand in the space between the tank and the frame. It's like I'm going to have to make "a plan" where I drive nearly all the gas out, so it won't weigh so much, drop it, change out the hoses and put it back up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69