Dump Bed Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
All:

So I'm in the middle of rehabbing my 89 crew cab. I gave a guy 300 bucks for a running 1980 dually that had a good flat bed on it, which I'd then intended to cut down to the right size for my non-dually crew cab.

However...

I've got a friend who has a dump flat bed that came off a 76 Ford 3/4 ton, and he'd like to trade me that, for the flat bed I've got. Ok, so that's the backstory, here's my question: the dump bed seems solid enough, just needs derusted, painted, and rewelding on the mounting ears, since the frame it came off was apparently 1 1/2" wider than my chevy. It's missing the hydraulic pump, though, that runs the rams. Have any of you got any suggestions for hydraulic pumps that would work well, and won't break the bank? I'm seeing lots of 12v DC pumps around, but have also heard that that it's possible to set up a 120 AC pump with an inverter, so that then you've got a 120 v outlet handy, too. Any thoughts on these matters? Things I should consider that I'm not? The main beams that sit over the frame are going to sit slightly wider than the frame on my truck, as I said above. Any reason that would be a problem? Would it be smart to weld some cross members into the dump bed, to spread the weight out some more?

Aaron

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Unless you already have the 110V AC pump, I would go with a 12V complete unit. Questions you need to know, is the lift cylinder duel action, (pressure up and down) or a single action cylinder, (pressure up, gravity down)? How much oil do you need to fully extent the cylinder?

3200 PSI is pretty standard as a pressure requirement on small mobile equipment. The pump reservoir needs to have the capacity you need.

You could spend any where between $200 and a $1000.

Google search will give ideas. This looks good:

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.vevor.com/hydraulic-pow...Tj6Pqare-2Kk0q6tLkLQtp_mNWORY9mwaAjG0EALw_wcB

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
If your crew cab has a SM465 transmission, you can install a PTO and put a hydraulic lift on it. That is how the bigger trucks such as a Kodiak or Topkick are set up.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If your crew cab has a SM465 transmission, you can install a PTO and put a hydraulic lift on it. That is how the bigger trucks such as a Kodiak or Topkick are set up.
You are correct about medium duty trucks using a PTO. Unless the OP has a source for some used parts, a PTO, pump, tank (reservoir), and a valve will cost more than he paid for the truck.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
You are correct about medium duty trucks using a PTO. Unless the OP has a source for some used parts, a PTO, pump, tank (reservoir), and a valve will cost more than he paid for the truck.
I suppose, a PTO driven system might be a little over-kill for a 1 ton truck.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I suppose, a PTO driven system might be a little over-kill for a 1 ton truck.
Not really, but the OP did state he wanted to power the bed hoist without breaking the bank. My 3500 has a PTO and I have another to install on my transfer case of my Jimmy if I ever finish that project.

You must be registered for see images attach

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies, everyone. My truck just has the basic 3 speed transmission in it. I'd seen that vevor outfit, when I did some google searches before. The bed is about 5 hours away. I was just up there yesterday, but didn't think to measure the cylinders to figure out how much oil I'll need in a reservoir. Will have to run those measurements down.

I was also thinking of putting some airbags on the rear end, if I go ahead with the dump bed option.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL