Dually axle on k20 frame.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
What do I have to modify to put a Dually axle on a k20 frame. I know it won't bolt right up but it's a 14bt ff Dually axle. Also, Do I need to change anything on the front.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If it's a 14ff dually axle then it's from a cab&chassis truck and has a narrow track width. You will need spring hangers and shock mounts from a one ton truck to make the swap. You can't just move the perches on the axle like most people normally would do because there just isn't enough room on a C&C axle. then you would run your standard bed, not a dually bed.

Unless you have an axle from a newer bodystyle truck? Those could have a 14ff under a regular dually pickup.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You've got a nice original truck. With the other threads you've started, looking for info on 1 ton axle swaps, I'd have to ask why not just get a 1 ton dually? Even if you do eventually swap axles, you'll still have a 3/4 ton frame. If you really need a heavier truck, you may be money and time ahead to look for a complete one, or find one that needs a new body, and swap that instead of the running gear.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
You've got a nice original truck. With the other threads you've started, looking for info on 1 ton axle swaps, I'd have to ask why not just get a 1 ton dually? Even if you do eventually swap axles, you'll still have a 3/4 ton frame. If you really need a heavier truck, you may be money and time ahead to look for a complete one, or find one that needs a new body, and swap that instead of the running gear.

The truck has been in the family for a while and I have been thinking about just buying a 1 ton. And keeping both. But the problem with that is money.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Also the axles are out of a 1989 Chevy dump truck. But it's still a squarebody.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
doesn't matter what the axles came out of. At the end you'd have a 3/4 ton frame with one ton axles. Plus you would have taken apart a very nice original truck. You're young yet, save your money and buy the truck you want. Keep yours nice and original. I've been down this same road with a lot of different vehicles. Whatever I ended up with, I always would have saved money and been much happier if I had waited and saved up to get the vehicle I really wanted.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
doesn't matter what the axles came out of. At the end you'd have a 3/4 ton frame with one ton axles. Plus you would have taken apart a very nice original truck. You're young yet, save your money and buy the truck you want. Keep yours nice and original. I've been down this same road with a lot of different vehicles. Whatever I ended up with, I always would have saved money and been much happier if I had waited and saved up to get the vehicle I really wanted.

Yeah. I'm starting to think about throwing the axles in the corner and just fixing the rust on the truck I have. Then later build the truck I want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06