Dual carburetors on 250 I-6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
Awesome, that's more appealing than converting everything over for a more modern truck 5 speed.

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
That's an awesome idea, thanks again!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
A 4 speed would be just fine. Probably would be a direct swap as well. There is a member on here that installed a Jeep 5 speed in his 250-powered Square. I think @DBarre is his screen name on here. It seemed like a fairly straightforward swap, just needed a couple items to pull it off. Like the carb setups on the L6's, there are also a few overdrive transmissions one can use.

Edit: It was still an AX15, but out of a Dakota

It's been a great swap and I think I paid about $120 for the trans at pull-a-part. The trickiest things were the trans mount and the floor modifications. The rest is just measuring and buying the right parts.

I went with the Dakota version because finding the Jeep one in a 2WD is nearly impossible! By the way, if anyone needs the stock bellhousing for that trans, I still have it kicking around in the garage. (I probably need to make a run to the scrap yard!)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It's been a great swap and I think I paid about $120 for the trans at pull-a-part. The trickiest things were the trans mount and the floor modifications. The rest is just measuring and buying the right parts.

I went with the Dakota version because finding the Jeep one in a 2WD is nearly impossible! By the way, if anyone needs the stock bellhousing for that trans, I still have it kicking around in the garage. (I probably need to make a run to the scrap yard!)

John has been kicking around overdrive transmission ideas and I just remembered yours today. Nice clean swap and a great transmission too

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The ones I can find are for a 4bbl (which would be overkill IMO) or a triple carb setup (likewise).

A 4bbl manifold with a Holley 390 vacuum secondary carb, or even an Edelbrock 500, would not be overkill at all. The small primaries are good for crisp throttle response and the secondaries open no more than required by engine demand. And you won't have to mess around with rare multiple carbs. [/QUOTE]

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
A 4bbl manifold with a Holley 390 vacuum secondary carb, or even an Edelbrock 500, would not be overkill at all. The small primaries are good for crisp throttle response and the secondaries open no more than required by engine demand. And no having to mess around with rare multiple carbs.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike, ill keep it in mind!

However, I have since ordered the 4bbl Clifford intake (with the adapterl and a 2bbl Weber. I hope this will give me the performance I can use, as well as finally solve the s#!tt¥ carburetor/intake setup that has plagued my truck with issues pretty much since I got it.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
duplicate

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I will admit, the 300 is a fine engine. A classmate had a '79 F100 or 150 4x4 shortbed with a 4 inch lift that had a 300 in it, and that truck had plenty of power, and was great off roading.

Back in the early 90s I had a very basic 81 F150 with the 300-six engine. Later bought an 81 C10 with a 305 for my son. I have to say the Ford had better throttle response, was more fun to drive, and a heck of a lot easier to work on. Of course the Chevy 305 was hampered by, wait for it, a 2.56 rear axle.:( The Ford also had a stiffer truck like suspension compared to the Chevy Silverado.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Thanks Mike, ill keep it in mind!

However, I have since ordered the 4bbl Clifford intake (with the adapterl and a 2bbl Weber. I hope this will give me the performance I can use, as well as finally solve the s#!tt¥ carburetor/intake setup that has plagued my truck with issues pretty much since I got it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just noticed that! Hope it all works well for you.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cast case Saginaw 4 spds are usually fairly reasonable around here.$300-500 or less. These should just bolt in the original bellhousing without any changes. Driveline may even work, just find a shifter and you are in business??
I replaced a tired 250-six and 3-speed manual in an 82 C10 with a 350/TH350. Trans crossmember stayed in the same location and driveshaft didn't need to be modified. Same would be true for a Muncie, and I assume a Saginaw 4-speed as well.

AutoGear sells an all-new Muncie replacement with a 2.98 first gear, that lets you run a 2.73-3.08 for cruising. I think they also sell just the gearset.

JohnTaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom
Engine Size
250 CID Inline 6
I replaced a tired 250-six and 3-speed manual in an 82 C10 with a 350/TH350. Trans crossmember stayed in the same location and driveshaft didn't need to be modified. Same would be true for a Muncie, and I assume a Saginaw 4-speed as well.

AutoGear sells an all-new Muncie replacement with a 2.98 first gear, that lets you run a 2.73-3.08 for cruising. I think they also sell just the gearset.

Great information, man! Thanks! A manual with more than 3 speeds is definitely next on the (big) list, and going with such a 4 speed is my leading choice right now.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know for Weber tuning you have a choice of changing out the ventures and jets and some other parts that can get complicated. That's why people don't want to fool with them. I'm sure that's changed by now.

Weber's can get complicated. I had a '64 Dodge Dart many, many years ago and someone told me about Clifford Research as they were once known, yeah Clifford 6=8! I hadn't heard that in a long time. I still have the catalog from the '70's I ordered. When my son gets up I'll go in the room and pull it out and take a pic of to show you. That might be entertaining for some of you. The Dodge engine that was in the Dart was a 225 slant six with the solid lifters in it that the exhaust had to be set "hot", and they weren't kidding. Take the valve cover off and get after it. That is after you took those spark plug tubes out so you could take the cover off and have the engine running. I had it rebuilt, bored .030" with a matched set of TRW pistons and polished the crank and put in Clevite 77 bearings in it balanced and blue printed. That sucker screamed.

I had heard that Brown cams was what slant sixer's and some Fords were using with a Offenhauser 2bbl. manifold. I had a 500 cfm Holley 2bbl I was going to put on it. Clifford had the headers and everything for the slant. It had a old Mr. gasket three speed shift on the floor I put in and a 3.46 Posi out of a Duster I had to put in it. One day I let my wife borrow it to go to work while her car was in the shop and a van pulled out in and t-boned the car at an angle, and wiped out the whole passenger side. She was okay, just mad because the guys that hit her drove off after they saw she was moving. Oh well. I did look at Weber's but back then I knew more about Holleys and Quads and didn't want to fool with that kind of carb.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's that catalog.
You must be registered for see images attach

How do I turn this above pic? Does anyone know?
4 bbl and 2 bbl intakes for all makes. You guys with better computer skills than I do might be able to blow this up and see p/n's. Although they may be obsolete by now and changed. But you can see what it would look like anyway.

Multi-Weber setups, all makes of car and truck below the photo of Weber carbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL