Dual carburetors on 250 I-6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And here are some more. Is there something on this bar above I can click that will turn this photo? Or what else can i do?

You must be registered for see images attach
This is headers for Ford 300's and others/

And for you guys with a HUDSON!!! And Pontiac pickups! Joke.

Here's that set for my slant. You can see I have it marked.

I have the price sheets for that came with this catalog, but you old guys like me who remember all this stuff when it came out new, the prices are so low, I don't like looking at it because some of this stuff makes me cry, looking at how high this stuff is today is ridiculous.

As an example look at the cost of a t-shirt!!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@WamboJambo,

What is a "lump port", kit? What is a "lump" in a six?

I'd like to know this as well. Is it adding something along the lines of these:

The wings (lumps?) can be seen here, all the iron-headed 60° Chevy V6's had them.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
The Chevy 6 (194,230,250,292) is a terrible flowing head (non-integral) on the intake side by design. It has only 4 intake ports, with boss' in the middle of 2 of them that the head bolts pass through. There are 'lump port' kits that look a lot like the floor of the V6 intake ports shown above that can be bolted in. The 2 bosses are also cut out at the same time and bolts moved to the floor of the intake ports, IIRC everything correctly.
I've the theorized integral head is probably a better head on paper, but it has durability problems. Since they never came on the 292 version, the engineers probably knew it had some compromises in the design as well.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Partly correct @CorvairGeek ,three siamese intake ports for 1-2/3-4/5-6. Six exhaust ports, with 2-3 and 4-5 being siamese in the exhaust manifold. Only one bolt boss to remove in each intake port.

The guy the made the adapter plate for Aussie Speed intake sent me a cool photo of some cutaways of a head with lumps shown. But since they're not mine, I don't feel right posting them.

This shows the T6 Performance lump. It is a newer design, and has a higher ramp than the previous design. Instead of the intake charge hitting the bolt boss and the intake valves from the side, the bolt boss is removed, and the intake charge goes up and over the ramp, thus improving the velocity of the charge.

Here is one showing the combustion chambers and can see the intake and exhaust ports on top.
That is when I got the head last year.

Enlarged from 1.72/1.50 to 1.94/1.60. Still need to massage the ports.

Last edited:

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I think you will have to try Aussie Speed Or Offenhauser . They both have a 4 barrel manifold and they have 2 - 4 adapters that will allow you to use a 2 barrel, maybe a Rochester 2GC, which should be perfect for your engine. Offenhauser also has linkage for their 4 barrel manifold, so you should be able to get it to work on a 2 barrel. Be aware though, that the Aussie Speed manifold has really big runners, which will require you to use your gearbox. It probably won't lug well.

Last edited:

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I have a 292 with an Offenhauser dual single-barrels, and I am using a pair of Rochester B type 1 barrels for a 235 - a pair of carbs for a 292 might be too much for my stock-cammed engine with stock ports head, and that carb has to have a manifold-mounted automatic choke. I have headers - and I feel it works surprisingly well. I made throttle linkage from a setup for a step-van with this engine, I can't remember what the bell-crank I used is for, and had to use a gas pedal for a late 50s pickup, which meant I had to make a hole in the floor toe board, as the L bracket that the pedal press on had to go through the floor. I don't know if you want to do that much fabricating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1