Double wall exhaust system, anybody do it ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Put a 1105 cam in my Camaro with the lifters and have had zero issues. Most people don’t run zinc in their oil like they should. Also to go back to something I saw earlier about heat soaking the starter, that can be fixed with an external solenoid. Did that on the Camaro also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long ago did you get the cam and install it?
Scuttlebutt going around in the camshaft world says that Summit has had more than their share of bad batches of cams.

volcanomike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How long ago did you get the cam and install it?
Scuttlebutt going around in the camshaft world says that Summit has had more than their share of bad batches of cams.
Going on 7 years now. I’d recommend them. I’m going to get one for the K10 eventually. Zinc oil saves valve train and all other engine components. They don’t put zinc in regular oil now a days. Could be part of the reason your fuel pump lobe is gone.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Going on 7 years now. I’d recommend them. I’m going to get one for the K10 eventually. Zinc oil saves valve train and all other engine components. They don’t put zinc in regular oil now a days. Could be part of the reason your fuel pump lobe is gone.

I don't know what kind of oil the previous owner ran in the engine, so I will say it's definitely possible that could be a contributing factor in my dilemna.

CrazyArk

Reaction score
First Name
Ark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
355 (0.030+)
I am said friend who ordered the 1102, for me. It was a good boost from stock, but not to the extreme lope level since I needed it as an all around driver. Summit has their cams ground in batches on automatic machines which means the tolerances change across a production run. (Nor can Summit admit who is grinding their cams anymore) I don't have an exact date, but the lifters they currently carry, are admitted Mellings, but they are now Chinese produced "quality." So, it's a case of: When it was installed, where in the the production run the cam was made, and what quality lifters were included.

In my case, crap point in the production run, poor hardening, crap Chinese lifters, end result was the perfect storm that nearly destroyed the engine.

Kev's truck has me constantly scratching my head, really hoping that filter that will work the return is the trick since it will act similar with it to how the mechanical pump with the return would.

volcanomike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am said friend who ordered the 1102, for me. It was a good boost from stock, but not to the extreme lope level. Since I needed it as an all around driver. Summit has their cams ground in batches on automatic machines which means the tolerances change across a production run. Plus they

I am said friend who ordered the 1102, for me. It was a good boost from stock, but not to the extreme lope level since I needed it as an all around driver. Summit has their cams ground in batches on automatic machines which means the tolerances change across a production run. (Nor can Summit admit who is grinding their cams anymore) I don't have an exact date, but the lifters they currently carry, are admitted Mellings, but they are now Chinese produced "quality." So, it's aha case of: When it was installed, where in the the production run the cam was made, and what quality lifters were included.

In my case, crap point in the production run, poor hardening, crap Chinese lifters, end result was the perfect storm that nearly destroyed the engine.

Kev's truck has me constantly scratching my head, really hoping that filter that will work the return is the trick since it will act similar with it to how the mechanical pump with the return would.
A lot of people have had good experiences with their cams. Sounds like you got a bad batch and that can happen with any brand. I did a lot of research prior to ordering mine and haven’t been dissatisfied one bit. Suppose I could’ve got lucky.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ANother thing I was thinking as I’m chasing a somewhat similar issue is the pump heating up from voltage drop possibly?
They are low amp draw pumps, but what is the power source and wire gauge?
Mine is powered from idk what. Some wire that daisy chains off the electric choke, lol. Seems suspect. Haven’t tested that but will. Either way, when I move the pump, the wire run will be about 8’ longer. I’m going to wire in a relay so that the pump is getting good clean fused battery power.

volcanomike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hopefully the return line fixes the problem. That is what solved my problem is adding a return line. I have zero trust in electric pumps. My truck had a FiTech system with electric fuel pump. That system is garbage. My truck now has a mechanical pump and Edelbrock carb.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
To Grit Dog: I ran 12 gauge wire from the fuseblock, so it'll handle the voltage quite well.

Mike: I believe the return line will flow enough cool gas through the electric pump to keep it cool enough to keep working.
I have only had one electric pump in my life that caused issues, it was a Mr Gasket I bought new to drive a free motorhome to my place, the pump was sitting on top of a full gas can next to the doghouse, a 2 foot run to pump gas to the carb, and the pump failed after 4 miles.
Didn't want to try and pump gas from the motorhome's tanks as they had sat for 20 years and the dirt and crud was unbearable to deal with.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ Well, that may be a large part of my issue then. Truck came with a new looking Mr Gasket pump, that the PO claimed he drove a thousand miles or 2, he didn't do the work or own the truck very long. It lasted about 2 tanks of gas and died, spittin distance from Autozone who had.....a Mr Gasket pump. That one lasted another couple rounds of fuel fillups and crapped the bed about 300 yards from the previous one!

Think I'll not be using that pump.... And the return line is capped off right by the engine, so I'll drop a filter with a return in it as well, even though the old pumps didn't feel hot when the died.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

They do put zinc in oil now a days. They say a broken in engine is fine on modern oils. It's just the zinc gets used up sooner cause the levels are not as high as they use to be. Project Farm has a video that compares normal oil with STP oil treatment which advertises zinc. It actually had less than normal Walmart 5w30 oil. I use diesel oil 15w40 cause it has more zinc I use the old CJ rated oil last time from TSC. CJ rated oil has less than the newer CK oil that is the current spec.

I can't remember the forum where I found a web page or post that had oil analysis of all the more common brands and listed the zinc levels. But they concluded that all modern oils had enough zinc for broken in flat tappet engines. Now if you rebuilt or had a new engine with flat tappet you should run a high zinc oil till broken in.

volcanomike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They lowered the amounts over the years. It’s half ppm of what it was. I’d rather run full ZDDP or an additive than risk my motor. The cost is negligible.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They lowered the amounts over the years. It’s half ppm of what it was. I’d rather run full ZDDP or an additive than risk my motor. The cost is negligible.

You are correct. But there still is zinc in it.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I picked up the filter in town today, UPS actually delivered it on time.
Installed it this evening, the see through filter at the carb filled with gas instantly upon engine start, and no leaks anywhere.
Tomorrow will be another scorcher of a day, and we need to make a trip in for water, so that'll be the test to see if the return line made any difference.
Will pack a couple of water spray bottles just in case ...........

volcanomike

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I picked up the filter in town today, UPS actually delivered it on time.
Installed it this evening, the see through filter at the carb filled with gas instantly upon engine start, and no leaks anywhere.
Tomorrow will be another scorcher of a day, and we need to make a trip in for water, so that'll be the test to see if the return line made any difference.
Will pack a couple of water spray bottles just in case ...........
I think it’s going to be good. Let us know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1