Door Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
There was a thread I was reading about interchangeability between the doors. Our square trucks really divided into two body styles. Someone was asking if all the doors interchange and they do, but after they measured the length of the door everyone was saying the new style doors are barely one half in longer.

Put some of this in your pipe and smoke it !!!

73-76 ALL PICK UPS& SUBURBAN-SAME PART#
76 BLAZER & JIMMY HAVE THE SAME #
77-87 PICK-UPS &77-90 BLAZER & SUBURBAN-SAME#

And I wouldn't be suprised if the differance in the 76 to 77 doors, might be some added holes in the assembley of the core of the door. Now I am not going to swear to the that. But I also beleive 77 was first year power windows were optional, so that is likley why the differant part #. I know I'm close if on target. Retro can verify exact year model I'm sure.

Im really curious if its true or not. Lets all measure our doors and see.....

Did you want length and girth or just.. Wait, you said doors huh??? OK, from where to where? Right at the body line or what? Everyone will need to measure in the same spot, but my bet is gonna be they are all the same.

Haha, funny.

I would say eyeball between the body line and the bottom of the door, right in the middle.

Let me help clear this up for you a bit. I have a little insight to this because the door on my passenger side is for a 77 however, due to an unbelievable deal that I got for a bunch of new panels on CL my driver door ended up being a 73-76 door. Both door fit exactly the same and for reproduction door fit pretty well. The big difference in the door is on the interior side because they changed the interior door panels between years. So my door panels on the passenger side fits perfect but my driver's side not near as well due to the window crank rod not coming out as far. Right now I have that panel off trying to figure out what I can do to fix it and is part of the reason of why I'm tossing around fabricating my own set of custom door panels.

So this should answer your question. The overall dimensions of the door across the squares is exactly the same but the interior side of the door there are slight variations between the 73-76 and the 77+ models. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Maybe this will clear the door question up for you Iman....

Let me help clear this up for you a bit. I have a little insight to this because the door on my passenger side is for a 77 however, due to an unbelievable deal that I got for a bunch of new panels on CL my driver door ended up being a 73-76 door. Both door fit exactly the same and for reproduction door fit pretty well. The big difference in the door is on the interior side because they changed the interior door panels between years. So my door panels on the passenger side fits perfect but my driver's side not near as well due to the window crank rod not coming out as far. Right now I have that panel off trying to figure out what I can do to fix it and is part of the reason of why I'm tossing around fabricating my own set of custom door panels.

So this should answer your question. The overall dimensions of the door across the squares is exactly the same but the interior side of the door there are slight variations between the 73-76 and the 77+ models. :waytogo:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I've always heard the K5 doors were a different size but someone here disputed that a while back. If anyone has a K5 throw the measurement up here to clarify. Otherwise the only difference I've seen is the door panels. I put 80+ door panels in my 78 model doors and the crank rod was about 1/2" or 3/4" too short. Since the panel is plastic, and it's on a mud truck I just pushed in on it until the crank handle clipped into place.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I was reading a thread one time about a small difference in the length of doors. 73-80 doors were exactly a half inch shorter than 81-87 doors. Has anyone else herd of this?

Never heard that before, but anything's possible lol...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Which means this info is correct.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Which means this info is correct.

Exactly :waytogo: I was just giving more detail. Probably too much detail :shrug:

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about pre-76 Blazer/Jimmy? :think:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Same doors as mentioned above. They didn't put different doors on between Burbs/blazer/jimmys/trucks/..... within the same year.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Will a frame mounted hitch from a '89 Suburban fit a '91 K-5?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The Door Thread !!!

I just consolidated 3 differant threads running asking about doors and muddying up LS1's suspension thread. So here we go, all door size and fitament discussion goes here please.

Also note, above, davebell is asking if anyone knows door dimesnions on a Medium Duty 69 truck and if they intechange with pick-ups.
In the past Dave, its been my experience, that yes, the same body style door should work on a Medium Duty, however, I have seen the door fit fine, but the hood and fenders actually be shorter becasue the medium duty was a short or snub nose. So there are differances, but I think the doors are the same. In the truck you ask about is a 69 right? So that that means 67-72 doors should fit it. I won't swear to that though. It could depend on the series of the truck. I got some real nice door for my 64 GMC off of a 65 Chevy medium duty C60 one time. They weren't all beat up cuz they were higher off the ground and probably weren't parked in a store parking lot.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:waytogo: Thanks HRPC!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
On the 69 crane truck the doors look like squarebody doors. Did they use test run the squarebody as truck body on the bigger truck before it was official on pickups in 1973? Its a GMC truck body

Post that pic of that truck again Dave, lets see it. I'm still thinking you need 67-72 doors on that thing.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's the pic