Door hinge nut plate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I only ever post at work, and often times instead of doing my job engineering quality into Nissan's and Toyota's and Tesla's, I sit and fantasize about my trucks.

Today I was fantasizing about my C10, and thinking, that stupid nut plate seems to be in the way of me fully trimming the rocker out for replacement. Then it occurred to me, if I take the upper hinge off also, will it just fall out? Or be somehow movable so I can trim the rocker for replacement?

:headbang:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If I were you I would cut through the sheetmetal with a cutoff wheel only going through the sheetmetal and then peeling it off the plate with a chisel. I rarely used a sawsall for cutting body panels. My favorite tools for that are my cutoff wheel and my air chisel. I have an awesome sheet metal bit for it and a few custom ground ones for peeling off spot welds. The bit on the right is for sheet metal and works great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 82

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
If I were you I would cut through the sheetmetal with a cutoff wheel only going through the sheetmetal and then peeling it off the plate with a chisel. I rarely used a sawsall for cutting body panels. My favorite tools for that are my cutoff wheel and my air chisel. I have an awesome sheet metal bit for it and a few custom ground ones for peeling off spot welds. The bit on the right is for sheet metal and works great!

I'm use the same method, a combination of cutoff wheels on my grinder and my air hammer.

I currently still have the upper hinge still on the truck, since I didn't think it was in the way, and why do more work than I need to? Does the rocker need to be trimmed around the nut plate? Or are the hinges the only thing holding it in place? Because I could just pull it out, that would make it much easier lol.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I'm use the same method, a combination of cutoff wheels on my grinder and my air hammer.

I currently still have the upper hinge still on the truck, since I didn't think it was in the way, and why do more work than I need to? Does the rocker need to be trimmed around the nut plate? Or are the hinges the only thing holding it in place? Because I could just pull it out, that would make it much easier lol.

I dont know if its welded or not. Take the other hing off and find out.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I dont know if its welded or not. Take the other hing off and find out.

Well I can't do that until I get home lol. I just wanted some validation for my fantasy of going home, going out to the garage, and it all working exactly the way I planned the first time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06