Don't wanna lose the burb.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Hey yall got a question,I got a 85 burb' with a 6.2 diesel in it and shes on the rocks so to speak,well heres the deal,the starter went out a while back so I bought a nice new one which worked fine for a while,well come huntin season she starts acting up ,perfect timing right,well its because the bolts were comin loose,so my mechanic tapped them out and put new bolt in,heres the problem,they were from home depot and of course they were not the right size,no fault of his own he was just tryin' to help,well as murphys law would have it those things snapped clean off in a months time,and the starter was hangin' by a the wire when I looked under the truck to see what all the racket as on a cold december morning when I tried to start her,and to top it all off I am told the blocks cracked along with the flexplate because the cover was not installed on the previous repair ,now assuming the block is cracked where the starter is held and not where the internals are,wouldnt it be possible to weld the starter to the motor if not then its off to the junkyard ? Obviously I could never replace the starter again but this is my daily driver and I really dont have the desire or the cash to shell out for a new truck or a burb and besides who wants to drive something made out of plastic anyway.This a good idea to try it or am I gonna have to call the scrap man ?:025::025::Insane::shrug:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't weld it. Why does he say the block is cracked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1st, confirm that the block actually is cracked. Sounds like maybe someone didn't want to spend time drilling out a couple bolts.

2nd, when the starter is installed, it NEEDS to have the support bracket installed at the end of it.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Well I am gonna take a deeper look at it and get total confirmation,the block being cracked sounds fishy,now I know the flex plate is cracked (cheap part, pain in the butt fix) but the reason I suspect the block is ok is because she cranked a little before the starter fell off ,and I have found no oil leaks or anything the day or two afterwards,just looks like I am gonna just have to put some elbow grease in on this thing again I also noticed the support bracket was not installed when the starter was replaced,thanx for the info. guys, much appreciated.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
1st, confirm that the block actually is cracked. Sounds like maybe someone didn't want to spend time drilling out a couple bolts.

2nd, when the starter is installed, it NEEDS to have the support bracket installed at the end of it.

Mine doesn't have one lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Mine doesn't have one lol

None of mine do anymore either, but with the 6.2 it is a very important thing to have. I don't know much about those motors, but I do know that for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels