Dome light door switches. How to change without twisting wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Mine were stripped out and the switches were frozen. I bought new switches and then found the proper rivet nuts for the threads on the switches. I believe they were metric. Drilled out the holes and installed the rivet nuts. Made long wire leads so when the switches were in place, I then connected the wiring and pushed inside from the inside of the dash. No twists in my wire but now is overlength for removal.

Byco

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 Silverado
Engine Size
350tbi
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Here we go. Dome lights don't work? Try this. Courtesy of Harbor Freight :anitoof:

You must be registered for see images attach

OH YEA! That gets a X2 !

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I ordered the door switches from LMC. I removed the old one you can see on the right. I screwed the new one in on the left, but it was sticking way out and pushed through the thread opening to the other side. I then removed it and noticed they aren't even remotely the same size. What the hell?

Is there an adjustment or something?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Here's what LMC says should fit a 1980, which is what I have. The part number matches up between the packaging and the web site, but their picture seems off to me.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Here's what LMC says should fit a 1980, which is what I have. The part number matches up between the packaging and the web site, but their picture seems off to me.

Call them up, send them the pics. They will probably just send you new (and hopefully correct) ones

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I bought my switches at an auto electric store. My cab is an 87 so the switches you show are the same as I used. My holes were stripped out so I installed rivet nuts first. Special order item.

Then I pulled out the plug for the wiring and fished through the switch wiring so I could tighten the switch without twisting the wire.

I tightened the switch and then reinserted the wiring and the plug.

Works just like factory. Turn the headlight switch to the left and the light comes on. Open either door and the light comes on.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yes, there is. Close the door on them.

I think what he means is they are the same like mine. Frozen closed with a missing rubber piece. The switch is electrically open, against a spring, when the door is closed. Open the door, the spring returns the switch to closed and power flows through the light to ground. This circuit has 3 switches. (2 door cab) Headlight switch turned to the right. Any door opens. four door adds more switches.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Yes, there is. Close the door on them.
I was nervous to do that, for fear it would break the switch and dent my door? You're saying it won't? How?

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I was nervous to do that, for fear it would break the switch and dent my door? You're saying it won't? How?

Chevy voodoo magic? Take the rubber off and squeeze it with your fingers and you will see how it functions. If you worried about how much space you have, put a chunk of plumbers putty where the switch goes and close the door. Open the door and see the thickness of the putty. That is how much room you have to work with. Non-shrink hobby clay can work as well.

Even better go to your nearest chevy graveyard and open and close door until you find an intact switch and watch how it functions.

Even better, cut door off and replace with plywood.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Eff it. Get a Clapper.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

When you close the door it forces the sleeve into the nut as far as the door will push it. Basically self adjusting. Your old one looked like your new one before it was installed and the door closed on it.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
When you close the door it forces the sleeve into the nut as far as the door will push it. Basically self adjusting. Your old one looked like your new one before it was installed and the door closed on it.
Gotcha. What about the fact that if I scew the outer nut all the way it pushes though and won't tighten anymore (of course at that point)? Should I use washers or something?

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
These are weird, but I think I'm getting closer. It won't let me screw the threads in all the way, or it pushes though and won't tighten. So, I have to put them in so about half the threads are in half out. Seems to be working well on the driver's side. Light comes on and it's tight. The passenger side is giving me fits. The threads don't want to hold it in place.

Any tips to get it to bite in and stay?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406