Dome Light and Courtesy light HELP NEEDED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Square

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
On my 83' Silverado im having an issue with my interior lights. My dome and courtesy light both wont work. Both fuses are fine and both bulbs are good also, but my problem lies between the dome and horn circuit. When i plug in a bulb into the dome the fuse blows, and when i dont have a bulb installed the horn works and the fuse is fine. has anyone had this problem before?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Which fuse blows?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
You have a grounded short somewhere in the circuit. Check the wiring at the door pin that activates the dome light, also check the wire connections at the dome light housing as well. Both of these connections were issues on my 84. Sometimes the electrical connections inside the dome light housings ground out due to a melted contact. I switched over to leds for all of the interioir light to eleiminate the issue. Incandescent bulbs get very hot when in use and can cause issues.

Mr. Square

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok will do thats what i was thinking could be the problem.

wingman50

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L
I had the same problem. Put in a new in the dome light socket which blew the fuse. It took a long time to figure it out that it was the bulb. I was putting a single contact bulb in the dome light socket that has a DOUBLE Contact. The single contact bulb will short the fuse. Try the double contact bulb. That worked for me.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I had the same problem. Put in a new in the dome light socket which blew the fuse. It took a long time to figure it out that it was the bulb. I was putting a single contact bulb in the dome light socket that has a DOUBLE Contact. The single contact bulb will short the fuse. Try the double contact bulb. That worked for me.

This makes sense. It would be a direct short to ground with either door open or the dome light swiched on at the headlight switch. The white wire is a switched ground and the orange is hot at all times.

Mr. Square

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I first tried the double contact bulb when i first attempted to get the dome to work. i think its got to be the door switches. there isnt any bare wires on the floor that leads to the dome light itself.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
check the wires under the door sill cover . mine where melted together from being pinched i replaced 2 feet of wire fixed it ... just saying

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I replaced from just under dash all the way up! Just hook your old wire up to new one and pull er through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue