Dim Dash Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VaughnsC30454

Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
And that porcelain around the coil wire cracks/breaks causing most "lighting" issues.
Didn't know that, but problem still persists after full tune up. The po had this done as well, atleast he paid for it. The two rear plugs, and wires werent touched though, smdh at piss poor quality. That's why I'm the only that turns wrenches on my mess lol

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
Didn't know that, but problem still persists after full tune up. The po had this done as well, atleast he paid for it. The two rear plugs, and wires werent touched though, smdh at piss poor quality. That's why I'm the only that turns wrenches on my mess lol

Understood.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just to add, I installed LEDs in a 1974 C10 I'm currently working on, and yes, they do make a huge difference. Cost about $10.
Just know that you likely won't be able to adjust the brightness. But then again, who dims their dashlights anyway?

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just to add, I installed LEDs in a 1974 C10 I'm currently working on, and yes, they do make a huge difference. Cost about $10.
Just know that you likely won't be able to adjust the brightness. But then again, who dims their dashlights anyway?
I do.
Especially on a long drive at night.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As per my post from yesterday that I have found an excellent LED dimmer. Classic Instruments has one, check it out at classicinstruments.com and the sku #LEDDIM. It's $78.00 but looks very good.
Also, @custodian, if you have a real good hardware store in your town, not Lowe's but a good old type hardware store look for a higher wattage bulb. You'd be surprised in the difference between a 1.34 watt bulb and a 3 watt bulb. Some that you get from Walmart, if they still carry them will say 3 watts, but at 14 volts. Well, your battery is only 12 volts which means that the 3 watt bulb is going to put out a bit more than half the wattage, or brightness at 12 volts. Somebody who knows the math can figure it out better than me, like what is the difference of a 14 volt bulb burning at 3 watts but at 12 volts? I've replaced most all of my bulbs in my gauges with higher wattage bulbs for 12 volts and the light was twice as bright.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
They make both types of LED lights, the ones that dim and the ones that don't. The ones I installed in our 1974 Dodge charger dim fine with the stock headlight switch/dimmer.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, I agree. The majority found on ebay, amazon etc do not dim, which is why I said "likely", although I expect that to change over time.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
As per my post from yesterday that I have found an excellent LED dimmer. Classic Instruments has one, check it out at classicinstruments.com and the sku #LEDDIM. It's $78.00 but looks very good.
Also, @custodian, if you have a real good hardware store in your town, not Lowe's but a good old type hardware store look for a higher wattage bulb. You'd be surprised in the difference between a 1.34 watt bulb and a 3 watt bulb. Some that you get from Walmart, if they still carry them will say 3 watts, but at 14 volts. Well, your battery is only 12 volts which means that the 3 watt bulb is going to put out a bit more than half the wattage, or brightness at 12 volts. Somebody who knows the math can figure it out better than me, like what is the difference of a 14 volt bulb burning at 3 watts but at 12 volts? I've replaced most all of my bulbs in my gauges with higher wattage bulbs for 12 volts and the light was twice as bright.
I do have a good hardware store nearby. Going by there Monday to look for some flexible wire mess, I'll look for some.

72velle

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Who sells the dimmable LEDs?

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I researched this and went to a parts store site, they list 194 as 4 watts, 168 as 5 watt and 161 as an interchange but didn't have the wattage. I didn't want to fight with the LEDs and ordered the 168s. I will update when I get to it.

Alsop make sure your getting the correct voltage and proper grounds, including the ones under the hood. Everybody leaves the engine to firewall one off because it's a bugger to get to.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Foil tape line the gauge refector bezel. Made a huge difference for me.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Looks like you have a bulb out on the left of the speedo!

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
#168 bulbs in the dash lights will be brighter by 50% (3 candlepower instead of 2) than the #194 that are probably in there. That's how we did it, back in the day, before LED bulbs were a thing.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpeg
    IMG_4342.jpeg