Dim Dash Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
Dash lights are dim in the 85 C10, even after putting new bulbs in, can't hardly see the dash at night. Any thoughts to make them brighter?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How old are you? lol. Eyesight is the second thing to go I've discovered. I thought memory was the first but I can't recall.
Seriously, maybe the rheostat is going bad. If you have 12+ volts, the bulbs are in the sockets, the cluster is relatively clean, there's not much else to check. I have Dakota VHX LED gauges in mine. Night and day difference....no pun intended.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
How old are you? lol. Eyesight is the second thing to go I've discovered. I thought memory was the first but I can't recall.
Seriously, maybe the rheostat is going bad. If you have 12+ volts, the bulbs are in the sockets, the cluster is relatively clean, there's not much else to check. I have Dakota VHX LED gauges in mine. Night and day difference....no pun intended.
67. I think I'll put a new light switch in first, just have to figure out if it's a 7 or 8 pin. Still has the original switch from the factory.

Last edited:

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
1. LED bulbs make a huge difference.
2. Paint white or foil the back of the cover if you need even more brightness.
3. I did the switch too. Did not notice a difference, but it also isn't the best Wells switch I ever got. Has to be monkied with to get the headlights on.

custodian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
1973, 1985
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.3 LS, 350
1. LED bulbs make a huge difference.
2. Paint white or foil the back of the cover if you need even more brightness.
3. I did the switch too. Did not notice a difference, but it also isn't the best Wells switch I ever got. Has to be monkied with to get the headlights on.
Checking in on LED's.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Dash lights are dim in the 85 C10, even after putting new bulbs in, can't hardly see the dash at night. Any thoughts to make them brighter?
Did you replace the bulbs with the LED type? They made a big difference for my Dash, and I lined the back of the black gauge surround with chrome tape.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Foil tape line the gauge refector bezel. Made a huge difference for me.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
Just cheep 194 LED replacements is all we did in our 1984 Silverado.

They alone made a world of difference. I cleaned the clear lens with glass cleaner while I had it all apart too- This is no show truck by any means either.

-Jon in TX.

VaughnsC30454

Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Not sure if this is the place for it or not, but not only are dash lights dim, oil pressure gage drops after warm, like pull over and check it now low, voltmeter is on break more than works, po did a mess of new on her. I discovered that a Chevy starter positive lead can't handle any more torque that resting Your hand on it, because the starter was new, so I figured it was the hap hazard 6 ga lead going down there, nope, couldn't even separate it from starter in truck. Tossed it all. It's good to go now. Be careful who You pay to say "it has more new than I can remember.".

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L
And that porcelain around the coil wire cracks/breaks causing most "lighting" issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1