Dielectric Grease

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johninbc

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have been reading many threads where the idea of putting dielectric grease on electrical connections pops up, much as an afterthought. I think many do not realize that this silicone based grease is not a conductor. It could hinder connectivity by acting as an insulator. It is capable of preventing corrosion by excluding air and moisture to a connection, ie over battery posts after the connection is made, or to seal mated connectors. One certainly wants to remove it if it gets on the contact area.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dialectric has many more benefits than negatives. Personally, I have never seen it cause an issue if used correctly. Many more times than not, using it would have prevented issues. Sure, smear it all over a set of points the car probably won't start. Takes me about 6 months to use up a 4oz tube. Most is used is on plug boots.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
This came up the other day with a friend of mine who did something with electronics in the military and he said they were taught not to use it for the reasons outlined above. But I use it on just about every connection. I figure if it needs to be metal to metal, it typically scrapes away where needed.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
if your connectors have good contact, dielectric grease will not affect conductivity by applying it to the connections. It's there to protect the exposed metal of the connectors so they don't deteriorate over time from moisture/dirt. It also provides insulation between connections.

What is Dielectric Grease?

If you over time you form bad connections, often the DE grease is blamed when it doesn't work. When that happens, clean out the DE and try it again for a while. If it's fixed, the DE may be super old and crusty from age AND the connection got loose over time. Clean, fix your connection and reapply DE to connectors exposed to the elements/dirt. Guessing the DE will last 15-20yrs (someone else chime in on the life).

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've stopped using silicone dielectric grease on connections. I've had a few issues although I can't definitely say it was the grease that caused it. I'm also not happy with it's long-term properties for corrosion protection and lubrication.

I've shifted to NoOxID which is specific to keeping electrical connections clean and corrosion free. I'm much happier with its properties. Particularly long term on things like battery terminals.

It's available directly from the manufacturer, and like everything else, probably on Amazon or flEaBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS