Delco Radio Shaft Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Quick question on the AC delco radio that came on these trucks.
The shaft nuts that attach the radio to the metal dash, are there one or two sets of these? Is there one that attaches the shaft to the radio itself, and then another one that sandwiches the metal? Or just one nut?
I can't remember and I can't find another set of nuts, already have one on there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't remember either. Loosen the nut that's on there and see if the shaft starts to wiggle?

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I was hoping someone would know because I already have it installed and getting that thing in and out is a real pain, and you can't unscrew those nuts with it back there...
I found nuts for shaft-style radios from another gm vehicle I found in jy, but I guess those nuts are not standardized. Do you think it's possible to find a replacement from the hardware store?
Anyways, I guess it's going to have to come out, and I'll let you all know what I find.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I went to hardware store, but they didn't have the right size, it is a not-so-common nut size of 7/16-28 I believe (have not measured to confirm).
But, I went by a junkyard and found a few squares with delco factory radios in them and grabbed a pair of nuts, and they do have 2 sets of nuts: one on the inside of the metal dash that hold the shafts to the radio body, and the outer nuts (also the same size) are for securing the radio to the dash holes.
I also tried using some other similar nuts I found from other shaft radios and they are all over the place in terms of size and thread, so hold onto those nuts!

My radio:
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am positive I was able to get standard fine thread nuts to fit these shafts in the past. I just can't remember what size it was. It was a common size like 3/8-24 or something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don