Cylinder Head Decision?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi guys was hoping for a little advise. I am disassembling my 350 currently and ordered a 383 rotating assembly to put it back together. My cam is a comp Xtreme 4x4. I'm using and edelbrock performer intake and stock converter. Right now i have 3.08 gears but going to 4.11 soon i hope. I'm posting cam specs in the picture. So I'm wondering if I'll get good torque with a stock 882 head or if there is a lot of torque to be gained from an aftermarket head? I don't really care about HP just torque. Has any body used the 882 on a 383?

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hi guys was hoping for a little advise. I am disassembling my 350 currently and ordered a 383 rotating assembly to put it back together. My cam is a comp Xtreme 4x4. I'm using and edelbrock performer intake and stock converter. Right now i have 3.08 gears but going to 4.11 soon i hope. I'm posting cam specs in the picture. So I'm wondering if I'll get good torque with a stock 882 head or if there is a lot of torque to be gained from an aftermarket head? I don't really care about HP just torque. Has any body used the 882 on a 383?

You must be registered for see images attach
What pistons are coming with your kit. What are they advertising as a given compression ratio with a given combustion chamber size.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Should I get something different? If it's poor quality I won't use it. Do you have any recommendations?

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok thanks I'll look at the scat stuff then. I'll put the eagle order on hold. Any opinions on the heads tho? I'm thinking around 9 to 9.5 compression

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Im only looking to run pump gas and id like 87 to 89 if possible. Ive never built a motor with aftermarket stuff just stock items so I'm unsure what's good to use.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Forget that Eagle **** go with Scat, unless in the last couple years Eagle got their **** together the machine work on the cranks are out to lunch, Scat does all their machine work in house and they have a top notch shop.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You can have that stroker crank kit discussion with them, and I'll just answer your question about the 882 heads. Alot more torque to be gained by an aftermarket head. Since you're going with a flat top piston and stroking it, you'd be good on the comperssion most likley even though it's a 76cc, but that head is riddled with NOx smog bumps, small runners and doesn't breathe worth a damn. I'd consider maybe some cheaper aluminum ready to bolt on and run aftermarket heads if the budget allows. 882's aren't bad for a low performance truck engine if you have flat tops to bring the compression up, but they just don't breathe.

If you're bring up compression, upgrading the cam, adding stroke for more torque and added cubes, then the heads will be your bottleneck without a doubt. JMO

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Check out World Products heads their SR line. I do believe the add said +5cc dome

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok thank guys I'll look into some new heads. I kinda figured the 882 wouldn't be any good. I've read a lot about them and opinions are mixed but more negative than positive. Should I look at 72cc chambers than to keep my compression reasonable?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP