Torque Converter Recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evn86

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have an 85 C10 with TH350 and a 12 bolt rear that I'm pretty sure has 2.73 gears. I'm planning to get a blueprint 383 motor with the following cam specs: .544 Intake / .555 Exhaust Lift and 230 Intake / 236 Exhaust Duration @ .050 - 110° LSA.

Blueprint recommends a converter between 2000-2400 RPM.

Looking for some recommendations on what RPM converter to get since I'm a little lost on which to go with. Does anyone have this setup? If so what RPM converter did you go with.

Thanks!

Hutch8671

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400sb
I've got an 86 k10 I recently put a blueprint 383 in , same one I think and I have a turbo 350 as well. I unfortunately thought the new converter I had bought for the previous motor would be fine, it's probably an 800 - 1200 ish stall and I'll be swapping converters here real soon for the 2000 2400 they recommend. You'll have to run your idol so high to keep it running when in gear it's silly, I'm somewhere around 1200 rpm in park to keep it from dieing in gear and that's just barely from dieing. You can end up opening the butterflies to much exposing to much of the transition circut of your carb... just a whole mess of problems . Your much better off putting the converter they recomend in it or something close to it anyway, that's my opinion based on the same experience your facing. By the way, be very careful putting the plugs in , on mine the exhaust manifold makes it hard to get a spark plug socket lined up right and just the slightest bit will cause you to cross thread it with the aluminum heads and then you have to cuss and throw stuff across your garage in turn hitting your wall mounted 4' fluorescent lights causing glass to go everywhere creating ANOTHER mess you have to take care of. And their long plugs not the short plugs, runs like crap with the short plugs but that's a whole other story.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have an 85 C10 with TH350 and a 12 bolt rear that I'm pretty sure has 2.73 gears. I'm planning to get a blueprint 383 motor with the following cam specs: .544 Intake / .555 Exhaust Lift and 230 Intake / 236 Exhaust Duration @ .050 - 110° LSA.

Blueprint recommends a converter between 2000-2400 RPM.

Looking for some recommendations on what RPM converter to get since I'm a little lost on which to go with. Does anyone have this setup? If so what RPM converter did you go with.

Thanks!
If Blueprint is recommending a 2200-2400 stall, why are you questioning that?

evn86

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got an 86 k10 I recently put a blueprint 383 in , same one I think and I have a turbo 350 as well. I unfortunately thought the new converter I had bought for the previous motor would be fine, it's probably an 800 - 1200 ish stall and I'll be swapping converters here real soon for the 2000 2400 they recommend. You'll have to run your idol so high to keep it running when in gear it's silly, I'm somewhere around 1200 rpm in park to keep it from dieing in gear and that's just barely from dieing. You can end up opening the butterflies to much exposing to much of the transition circut of your carb... just a whole mess of problems . Your much better off putting the converter they recomend in it or something close to it anyway, that's my opinion based on the same experience your facing. By the way, be very careful putting the plugs in , on mine the exhaust manifold makes it hard to get a spark plug socket lined up right and just the slightest bit will cause you to cross thread it with the aluminum heads and then you have to cuss and throw stuff across your garage in turn hitting your wall mounted 4' fluorescent lights causing glass to go everywhere creating ANOTHER mess you have to take care of. And their long plugs not the short plugs, runs like crap with the short plugs but that's a whole other story.
Good to know, thanks for heads up on the plugs lol.

If Blueprint is recommending a 2200-2400 stall, why are you questioning that?

I’m an idiot and didn’t realize until right now torque converters come in ranges. For some reason I thought I had to pick a specific RPM between 2000 and 2400 for the torque converter. Problem solved!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Something to consider switch to 700r4 with a stall converter that way it will lock in 4th or 3rd and 4th depending on how you set it up and I think the steeper first gear will be a big help with that cam and those gears.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1