cutting my crew cab down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murd3rface

Reaction score
First Name
brennan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r33
Engine Size
5.3 vortec
hey guys,
im new on here and been doing my homework on cutting my 88 3/4 2wd crew cab down to a short bed. ive always loved crew cabs but hate long beds so I found me a very solid start to what I want. if anybody has advice/ experience on cutting one down I figured it would be here... thanks

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
There is a thread somewhere on this site about cutting a longbed to a shortbed.

I cut my longbed down to a shortbed last year. The hardest part is if your donor shortbed doesnt have dual tanks. My longed originally came equipped with duals, but the donor shortbed did not. I ended up having to cut the fuel door off the long and graft it into the short. Taking accurate measurements is key.

When you cut the longbed frame down, be sure to "z" cut the frame for the strongest welds AND to ensure that the frame rails line up perfectly when shortened.

I dropped both of my tanks and made my cuts just in front of the forward fuel tank brackets. I will look for the link that I used to cut down my frame. Its difficult to do a write up without diagrams.

Things to consider....you will need a replacement driveshaft (this is why accurate measurements are CRITICAL).....possibly fuel door for passenger side of bed.....and you will have to modify/shorten you emergency brake cable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87ScottW