Custom Kick Panel Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jo89k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Well, I didn't want to hack into the doors of my K5 and the small dash speakers were just not going to cut it. So I decided that a set of 6.5" Component speakers would do quite nicely in my kick panels, and an amp under the passenger seat would provide the power they would need.

I had already upgraded the head unit and it has pre-amp outs, (the cables that look like TV audio cables) so getting the amp hooked up would be no problem at all.

I am quite the fan of Alpine Speakers so naturally I chose the Type-R Component speakers (SPR-60C), and for an amp I went with the Clarion XH5210 which is a dual channel amp that pushes 90 watts per channel at 4-Ohms

So, I measured the area under the seat, and double checked so I didn't need to order more then one amp, removed the seat and got the amp soft fitted

You must be registered for see images

I would be using the bolt that connects the seat frame to the frame as a ground so I was planning on taking the seat frame out anyway but there seemed to be a bit of rust starting, so a few hours, some beer, and a little POR-15 later, the seat frame was ready to be painted black and go back in the truck

So the amp went in nice and easy with a few self tapping screws, and wired everything up nice and neat under the carpet, remember to try and keep the power wire and the audio wires as far away from each other as you can, it prevents noise.

Next up was the speakers, got the kick panels on my work bench and started getting ready to do some cutting.

The speakers come with templates for the holes, what I did was got the template lined up where I wanted it, taped it down, and then used a silver paint marker to make a clear outline of what needed to be cut, I also made a relief cross because it's a sharp turn so it's easier to cut it as 4 small pieces rather then one larger piece

Make the relief cuts first,

I was cutting to the inside of the line, and then using my rotary sander and files to get the last bit out, just incase any mistakes are made you don't completely mess up, leaves some room to work with

Cleaned up the finished hole for the tweeter, and now do the same thing for the main speaker

A little bit at a time,

Now it's just time to clean up the hole a little, like I said before it's a lot easier to take more off when your done with the primary cuts, then it is to put it back on

And then before you know it, your done.. with only one side

Now repeat the whole process on the other kick panel and end up with something like this:

These speaker sound really good mounted in the truck, they are aimed just right to be a pleasurable listening experience

The bass out of these is great, for the type of music I listen to it's more then enough, and gets plenty loud.

I'll grab some shots of them mounted in the truck in the next day or two but figured I'd write this project up sooner. It's a great alternative to keeping the truck looking stock and still sounding great.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Cool beans....

BadBowtie84

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
Where did you source the blank kick panels??...I've only been able to find loaded ones..

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice work, thanks for shareing.

Posted from mobile...

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
ive always thought about using the kicks for speakers but im worried that...well... theyll be kicked.. ha also there might be clearance issues with the hood and park brake release leavers. im interested to see how they look mounted i may go this route afterall cuz i hate the speakers i have mounted in the dash pad. im all about looking clean and mostly original. post pics!!

jo89k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I'll get pictures if it ever stops raining here :Insane:

The kick panels are from a company called Q-Forms and are available on Crutchfield in Black, Blue, Gray, Dark Red, and Beige

They fit great, I don't have any problem kicking them and I'm in sized 15 boots all day, and they clear the hood release and parking break no problem

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I'll get pictures if it ever stops raining here :Insane:

The kick panels are from a company called Q-Forms and are available on Crutchfield in Black, Blue, Gray, Dark Red, and Beige

They fit great, I don't have any problem kicking them and I'm in sized 15 boots all day, and they clear the hood release and parking break no problem

cool ive read there are clearance issues :waytogo:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wow, you guys really like your audio! Nice write-up on the installation. They look to be very easy to work with and give good results. I too would like to see the finished installed product of your work. I briefly considered this as an option to upgrade the audio in my truck, but the price does not make that a reality. I do like to see other guys that actually enjoy their music enough to do stuff like this, much respect to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67