custom dash questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Also, if anyone improves on the design and figures out what to do about the speakers (vents or holes or something) I can't really tell a difference in sound but I'm sure if I didn't have the original paper cones speakers that sound like crap anyway, someone may be able to tell the difference.

MuddyMan: Yes, I used contact cement for both surfaces. I'm sure there are probably better adhesives that would have nade the whole process quicker, but I already had some and it seems to have formed a very strong bond.

I should mention, USE LOTS OF GLUE. otherwise you will end up with bubbly spots in between the layers. You will definitly use one entire med. size can to do this project.

I am planning I using a metal garbage can cut into pieces for my speaker grilles, ya know the expanded metal mesh ones? Haven't gotten around to doing it yet but it will happen in the next couple of months!

Sent from somewhere in Northern Illinois!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Did you use a heat gun when applying the vinyl ?

I was watching a you tube video of dash recovering and the company had a machine that stretched one solid piece of vinyl over the dash with enough pressure that every nook and cranny is conformed to by the vinyl.

Ive been thinking of doing this for a long time but I don't know to much about vinyl, whether there are different types or thicknesses that will stretch better or worse ?

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you use a heat gun when applying the vinyl ?

I was watching a you tube video of dash recovering and the company had a machine that stretched one solid piece of vinyl over the dash with enough pressure that every nook and cranny is conformed to by the vinyl.

Ive been thinking of doing this for a long time but I don't know to much about vinyl, whether there are different types or thicknesses that will stretch better or worse ?

There is cheap and there is really good stuff.. They do make a vinyl meant for stretching around the curves and corners of dashes or door panels. It's not cheap but its worth the money for a pro looking job..

To the OP of this thread.. your dash turned out real nice. :cheers:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I sure like the color scheme with the all black vents and trim. looks a little more modern

What kinda $ is not cheap ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486