cs 130 alt upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't know why they want to route the battery through their junction needlessly lengthening the route to the battery. That just seems stupid to me.

The junction should be used as the common point where everything pulls power from. The battery itself only requires a small trickle charge so a 10ga lead is all you really need on a stock setup. Batteries aren't meant to provide constant power-they need to provide starting power. I manufacture CNC cut CS144 140A alternator adapter bracket set designed for use on GM serpentine brackets where it replaces the stock 105A unit. GM Remy 100% new alternators are $96 on rockauto.com!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 352

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Well guys it's been a while...I've spoken with the tech guys at the link provided on a charging issue I've been having after installing the crown vic electric rad fan. Basically the fan along with other accessories just pulls more amps then the alternator puts out at idle and up. Awesome alternator if you are not using a high amp draw fan. I'll be purchasing o one off these for $360.00
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ite...-Case-High-Output-Alternator-external-fan.htm
To resolve my issue.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Keep in mind, the Crown Vic fans were also used in police package cruisers too-a 140 amp alternator is all you need. I build cooling fan systems and among the kits I build include using several versions of Motorcraft 2-speed fans. I've measured amp draws of 18-21 on low speed and 26-30 on high. That is nothing crazy-a 140A alternator like the one I use have no issues maintaining the charging system. You don't need a 200A alternator-heck police cruisers never needed one and they run way more than an HO fan.

If you step up with a HO alternator you must upgrade the wiring to support it....and that means more than an adapter plug. I'm just trying to keep you from spending big $$ on an alternator you don't really need IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those guys can build a helluva alternator but they don't design/build system management harnesses. Did they tell you how to change your existing system wiring to take advantage of the remote voltage system? Did they suggest running at least a 4ga charge cable to a common junction? You can't triple or quadruple the amperage capability of an alternator and still choke it all through stock wiring. I'd be curious to know how you have your Crown Vic fan wired-before buying a huge alternator, I can help suggest some changes that may solve your voltage problem. Even a 105A alternator should easily handle that RF124 CV fan.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Little info... While back I upgraded the alt charging cable to the batt to 4ga. The batt negative goes to the back of the alternator again 4ga then again 4ga to frame. Batt to starter cable also 4ga. The sensing wire goes to the power distribution block on the fire wall. The fan goes straight to the batt terminals. Along with that take into consideration all factory accessories ac, headlights 50w x4 and 600w sub amp. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a smaller 5 rib pulley. Still i don't think it would help. Started out with two agm batts one sears for starting and other was xs power for the sub amp. Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm sure I've left something out, but hey it's 1am...

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok...well then you've got a lot of the support for it covered. Curious, have you used an amp probe to measure volt and amp output @ the charge post? What do the fans actually draw? I'm suspecting belt slippage-a v-belt has maybe 1/4 the gripping power of a 6-rib serpentine. I would suspect your problem will be worse with a HO 200-amp alternator if that's the case. Hey....it'd be a good time to go serpentine now! In my previous pic, that's a GM bracket setup with a 1996 Impala SS alternator I'm running on one of my trucks.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have not measured the amp draw as most of my stuff is for ac not dc. Currently I'm running the 5 rib pulley system from an 85 blazer. The v belt got trashed the day this alternator went in. No belt slippage heard tho.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmmm...odd. I don't have an answer for ya then lol. I would have a hard time spending that kind of coin on an alternator and NOT having a serpentine belt drive too lol but that's me. Post back results of that monster alternator once you get it installed.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have the 5 rib serpentine belt pulley system from a blazer installed. Just no belt tensioner. I'll post results after its in.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Any updates?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not yet working on other projects. After they are done the truck will get it's turn. It's been a money pit...

Battlac40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I did the big three... and put new grounds on motor...chassis...cab...replaced all battery cables to isolater..
starter... alternator. The fuel filter is crap its a second filter after the electric pump dont need it but used it as a splice didnt have long enough hose lol story of my life..plan on doing all an fitting dash 6-8 ?
braided lines from tank (50 gal in the bed of my truck) to pump to carb. I lnow your supposed to use hard lines as much as you can. But I dont want to....

Did you buy you big3 or make it?

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just tested my alt and it was only putting out 12.4 volts. Can bad grounds cause that much voltage drop? Or is it time for a new alternator?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The junction should be used as the common point where everything pulls power from. The battery itself only requires a small trickle charge so a 10ga lead is all you really need on a stock setup. Batteries aren't meant to provide constant power-they need to provide starting power. I manufacture CNC cut CS144 140A alternator adapter bracket set designed for use on GM serpentine brackets where it replaces the stock 105A unit. GM Remy 100% new alternators are $96 on rockauto.com!
Thief!

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
???

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk