cs 130 alt upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Theory is to have the system drain the alternator charge more than the batt. I'd still wire it straight to the bat if it was me. This was mainly to show the difference in alternator output when changing the sensing wire location. I'm gonna try changing the location of the sensing wire from the back off the alternator to the firewall distribution block and see what affect it has.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Theory is to have the system drain the alternator charge more than the batt. I'd still wire it straight to the bat if it was me. This was mainly to show the difference in alternator output when changing the sensing wire location. I'm gonna try changing the location of the sensing wire from the back off the alternator to the firewall distribution block and see what affect it has.

Let us know how it works.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You bet! I have way more draw with the kicker zx750 than most do with their factory setup. Anyone who is looking to do this upgrade should also look into a smaller pulley as well it's necessary if your having charging problems at I idle... check the link in post #10 it shows when these alternators start charging.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I put a cs130 on my truck today. I got the plug from orilys for $20. Had to alt already so im in it prety cheap my lights seem brighter seems to run better and when the fans kick on it doesnt drag the motor down as mutch. Everything seems to just wrk better. It was prety easy bolted right up pluged right in. Thanks for looking

This is sort of unrelated, but you really should ditch that fuel filter. Those things can (and often do) start leaking past the crappy seals without warning. They really are a safety hazard.

With out a resistor the alternator will be short lived

That's what everybody always says, but the first two I did are still working fine. It's been nearly a decade too. I later found out about the resistor thing, so I do it just to be safe now.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you check out the link I posted you'll find there are two types of regulators one that doesn't need a resistor in the wire and one that does. It's just insurance. I'd like to be safe
Edit: word change. I read other forums where people say they didn't use one either. I'd just hate to be stranded because of a 5¢ part tho. Did you do any other wiring upgrades?

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Page one

Edit... trying to figure a way to upload a pdf , but Idk how to. Anyone?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413045385307.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413045385307.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 245

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I did the big three... and put new grounds on motor...chassis...cab...replaced all battery cables to isolater..
starter... alternator. The fuel filter is crap its a second filter after the electric pump dont need it but used it as a splice didnt have long enough hose lol story of my life..plan on doing all an fitting dash 6-8 ?
braided lines from tank (50 gal in the bed of my truck) to pump to carb. I lnow your supposed to use hard lines as much as you can. But I dont want to....

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I assume my alt. is a cs130 its from a 92 truck

it had only 1 wire coming out of the plug a brown one

I hooked it to the brown wire from my original alt. plug and ran a wire from the lug on the back to the starter.

not sure if it works or not yet I have not started the truck yet.

I guess I should research it more 1 brown wire out of the alt to the original alt. plug brown wire seemed easy enough to me. but now I don't think its that easy.

do I need he red sensing wire?
thinking about just getting the resistance adapter plug and running the sensing wire to my power distribution block on the firewall

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1