Cowl Screen Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hey guys, with the dash fixed and the Dynamat project finished, it must be time to get after the rusty cowl! My question is this: Can I gain access to the inside of the cowl by removing the panel that covers the wiper linkage and cowl screen? Here are some pics to show you what I am trying to fix BTW
You must be registered for see images

Shot at 2010-08-23
If you look behind the air cleaner at the firewall, you can see the flat piece of sheetmetal I riveted into the hole. If I remove the metal panel that retains the plastic cowl screen would I be able to get down INSIDE the firewall from above? It seems silly to ask, but i would love to knowbefore I go to all the trouble of ripping that panel off!:wave:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm going to guess from your screen name that your truck is an 85? The designs might be different from 77 to 85 but I know that when I took my cowl off on the 77 there was not access to the area behind the firewall with that.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I'm pretty sure that is accessible from from the inside of the cab, that's your firewall. I helped a buddy do a custom firewall on his 84, once we cut it out you could see inside the cab.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yep, it is an 85. I don't think the cowl is open either, now that I think about it. When I had the dash alll the way apart, I should have looked closer at the backside of the firewall. I will be removing the cowl screen panel anyway, to clean up the 25 years of crap that have snuck past the screen.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
You can get down in there some, not sure how far or how deep.

best I can find I know they don't show exactly how deep or what you can get to but it's a start...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks man, those pics are just what i needed to see! That will let me get to what i need. My thought has been to either fill the gaping holes in my firewall with sheetmetal, or use enough metal to get a good base for fiberglass. I know the proper way forward is to weld new metal in there, but that isn't going to happen before the snow flies this year. And, frankly, I getting sick of having to cover the cab with a tarp every time it rains LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10