Correct bumper for '78

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I call them "bumper tusks".
Been looking for a set for the 80s style bumper. Have a set on my 78s front bumper.

Bumper tusks........I like that!!!!! :hands:

By the way, I received my CORRECT bumper today.......SOOOOOOO excited to have the right bumper. Just like I remember it.....

You must be registered for see images attach

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Bumper tusks........I like that!!!!! :hands:

By the way, I received my CORRECT bumper today.......SOOOOOOO excited to have the right bumper. Just like I remember it.....

That's what I've always called them, haha. They're actually "bumperetts", but I never liked that term much.

Awesome! That's looks really nice. That's gonna look great on there.
I wanna get one like that for my 78 too.

Little fun fact; that style of bumper was used on all Chevy vans from 73 to the mid 90s. They're super common to find in junkyards, the 80s style cant find anywhere except new.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's what I've always called them, haha. They're actually "bumperetts", but I never liked that term much.

Awesome! That's looks really nice. That's gonna look great on there.
I wanna get one like that for my 78 too.

Little fun fact; that style of bumper was used on all Chevy vans from 73 to the mid 90s. They're super common to find in junkyards, the 80s style cant find anywhere except new.

The van bumpers have the bolt holes in different locations. Both the front and the rear.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
The van bumpers have the bolt holes in different locations. Both the front and the rear.

Yes, I found that out. Frames are different shapes.
You can still use one if you wanted to make your own brackets.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The correct bumper is "A" because that's what I have on mine. I had the really small step bumper when I bought the truck. I replaced it with the mid sized step bumper but that wasn't the look I was after. I went to my local Chevy dealer where a friend of mine worked at the parts counter and had been with Chevy forever. He knew which one I needed for the look I was after and ordered the bumper from a van. It's not straight, but is as curved as the step side's bumper, but seems to have a little less length in the curved part. It was perfect for the look I wanted. It's like the bumper on the front of my truck.
Does this look as long in the curved end of the step side?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When I built the truck back in the '90's cargo nets were real popular. It seemed everyone had one. I kept mine. Be glad I don't have a CB antenna because they were real popular then to, ha, ha, ha. I never had a CB. I couldn't afford it, besides I had no one I could call. It's kinda like now, I don't have a cell phone either, I don't have anyone I could call. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just commenting on the rear view, kinda like bumpers.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Ahhhhh, CBs and "Convoy" blasting out of every truck you passed. Simpler times. :) Now you are lucky if you have windows due to the vehicle behind you having that deep base that not only makes you windows vibrate, but your heart also.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Ahhhhh, CBs and "Convoy" blasting out of every truck you passed.

Have always had a CB in my trucks. Back in high school everyone had them and we would have fox hunts on the weekends. Load up your favorite gal and cruise around trying to zero in on the fox hiding by the strength of their transmit signal. I never minded being the fox because then all I had to do was find a good hiding spot and transmit a brief message every so often which left plenty of time for getting frisky with your date!! Awesome and much simpler times back then!! Great memories!!!!!:smoke2:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@My78truck,

Is it the bumper for a pickup truck or is it for a van like mine is? I think the regular duty pickups had a bumper like this but the "Custom Deluxe" had the step bumper, stock. And the regular duty C10's had a painted bumper to, like yours there and painted the color of the body.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I don't think ANY of them had a rear bumper, unless it was ordered with the truck. Most I saw were bumperless and the dealer added what the customer wanted??

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
I don't think ANY of them had a rear bumper, unless it was ordered with the truck.

Yep they had to be ordered with the truck. In '78 a painted one would run ya $47 and chrome was $73.
And if I'm reading it right, it looks like if you ordered a chrome front bumper, you couldn't get a painted rear, it had to be chrome.
(From the GM heritage center)

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep they had to be ordered with the truck. In '78 a painted one would run ya $47 and chrome was $73.
And if I'm reading it right, it looks like if you ordered a chrome front bumper, you couldn't get a painted rear, it had to be chrome.
(From the GM heritage center)

I do believe that was associated with the rear bumper type as well. Chrome front bumper meant if you opted for a rear sport bumper, you had to get chrome. But if you got a step bumper, you could get the silver painted one. Maybe not in the 70's, but I'm pretty certain that's how it was in the 80's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84