Coolant Heater Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Your 3rd pic is the same as the 2nd. As for the chalk on the radiator, if it has plastic tanks it could be a bad seal between the aluminum and plastic, happens alot. Most Chevy operating temp is closer to 200*, but at the 180* mark you describe, was the heater/defroster blowing hot air?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say that's pretty damn cool, but I guess actually its not. Sounds like it kept it to about bath water warm which is good. I wouldn't expect it to keep it any warmer than that. Still warm enough it should be blowing warmer air out of the heater within minutes of startup.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Your 3rd pic is the same as the 2nd. As for the chalk on the radiator, if it has plastic tanks it could be a bad seal between the aluminum and plastic, happens alot. Most Chevy operating temp is closer to 200*, but at the 180* mark you describe, was the heater/defroster blowing hot air?
Friggin pic won;t upload, wtf? Keeps coming up the same pic. The radiator in question has metal tanks. I have a 180* thermostat for summer boat towing and just run that through the winter. It isn't blowing too warm of air right at startup but it is not ice cold either. :)

Let me try the pics again...:Jedi:

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'd say that's pretty damn cool, but I guess actually its not. Sounds like it kept it to about bath water warm which is good. I wouldn't expect it to keep it any warmer than that. Still warm enough it should be blowing warmer air out of the heater within minutes of startup.
The only thing is that the computer is reading a warm engine so the first start up idle is hot idle, so the engine isn;t running fast to warm the rest of the way up, but she sure is a lot happier and smoother running being semi warm and the oil is ready to flow real nice like. I really like this. I woudl say freash, hot bath tub water would be the correct comparison. I was really surprised to reach in there and feel the heads and they were warm.

Tonight when I get done work I will do an unplugged - cold startup comparison for ya's and post it later. I also had to raise the snubbers on the hood height adjustment so the cord wasn't pinched too hard. I wanted to run it through the grill but the slots arent big enough to fit the plug through.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So basically it was up to running temp within 11 minutes with air temps in the 20's, that aint bad at all! :)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Friggin pic won;t upload, wtf? Keeps coming up the same pic. The radiator in question has metal tanks. I have a 180* thermostat for summer boat towing and just run that through the winter. It isn't blowing too warm of air right at startup but it is not ice cold either. :)

Let me try the pics again...:Jedi:

I see three of the same pic? Should I take Mickey's suggestion to Rocky (in the first Rocky) and just look at the one in the middle??? :roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I see three of the same pic? Should I take Mickey's suggestion to Rocky (in the first Rocky) and just look at the one in the middle??? :roflbow:
Click on the pics to enlarge them and look at the time stamps and the needle movement you silly ass......:)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Click on the pics to enlarge them and look at the time stamps and the needle movement you silly ass......:)

:lol: sorry about that! I thought it was funny so I just had to put it out there :) carry on, carry on...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This actually isn't a bad bump here. 89S needs to give us a 2 year update on how this is working out. Obviously it hasn't burnt down his truck. He's still driving it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yup, you guys out west getting frozen might want to take a look at this mod, it helps. I have not had to use mine for the 2nd year in a row due to the warm winters we have been graced with here. But it worked well that first winter, used it a couple dozen nights we dipped into the teens and low 20's. Keeps the coolant and block luke warm. It will affect the operation of your cold high idle, carbed or computer backed. So it will want to warm idle right away which is kind of a pain. Nice thing is it seems to keep the engine oil oil warmish as well. Still need to warm up for a little bit to get heat and def but better than nothing. I think nothing is worse than a frozen motor trying to crank and start and reach operating temp. I recommend this product for those extreme cold environments. I would not use it in temps above freezing.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I actually installed one of these in my suburban thinking it would help with the diesel cold start and it didn't work very well. Anything below 30 and thing was a biznitch.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You must be registered for see images attach

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Is it possible to run this at a 12v source and wire it to a toggle switch?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I seen some 12v heating pads that stick to the oil pan on eBay for like 20 bucks.

I been using this heater all week, doin good. If i had a way to plug it in at work I'd be set.

Don't go for the heated dipstick, that is a fire waiting to happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981