Coolant Heater Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow man! You are so detailed. I like it!! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I like it. I also think you chose the right placement. As you said before, heat rises, so it should heat both the radiator coolant the engine coolant.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Damn man, your radiator and that upper hose is in bad shape! Looks like you got er done though!

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
:)........Yet another great tech write-up.....I may end up trying this out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I like it. I also think you chose the right placement. As you said before, heat rises, so it should heat both the radiator coolant the engine coolant.
I wanted to mount it closer to the pump outlet but the hose was too big right there. If I were to do this again I would have ordered the 1 3/4" dia heater so it it would fit the hose right at the pump outlet. So insted I had to go down about 6-8 inches as you can see to where the hose shrunk down closer to 1 1/2".

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn man, your radiator and that upper hose is in bad shape! Looks like you got er done though!
Upper hose seems fine to me, felt ok, no cracks. If I had the cash I would have replaced both hoses while it was apart. I didn't realize how much chalk was on that radiator until I took the upper cowling off, and it really comes out in digital pics. It's never wet thought, so it must just barely weep out and dry right away?

That camera is a really great tool for showing things you would normally miss, I really recommend it for troublehooting of any kind of repar or leak detection. I used it to find an exhaust leak on my outboard motor, that you could not see with the naked eye.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Startup Test # 1

Ok, first day of startup test for heater. Air temp was around 26* at 9:28 this morning at test time. (The time stamp on the camera is apparently off by 12 hrs.) Truck was plugged in all night and the over night low was 21*.

You must be registered for see images

Opened hood, heads around the spark plugs and between the exhaust manifolds were warm to the touch. Upper radiator hose was very warm coming out of block to rise then cools as it reaches radiator. If I were to guess, I would say the coolant in the motor is anywhere between 80 and 100 degrees. I wish I had a laser temp gun to take readings at different points. Also felt the heater hoses and one is warm and the other is cooler. :)

So, on with the startup test. At first start, engine started right up but idled right away at warm idle. Temp guage shows bottomed out. Time: 10:36.

Temp needle starts moving 4 minutes later. Time: 10:40.

Reaches operating temperature at 10:47. I am assuming that hash mark is 180*?

This guage is a little confusing. The first half of the guage has 110* difference (100-210) then the last half of the guage has 50* of difference (210-260). Isn't that a little screwy?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981