Clutch safety switch delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
and a mower with a disabled deadman switch on the seat
Literally the first thing I do on my “at home only” tractors. No, I don’t need to shift my hydrostatic trans into neutral every time I jump off. #1, it ain’t goin anywhere; number two, I have a parking brake. I leave it in low when I’m working with the backhoe so I can easily creep forward as I work.

If I’m working inside a pasture with goats, I’ll put it in neutral if they’re in the middle of a king of the mountain session. Even then, the young ones are probably too light to move the HST pedals.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Guy 1 is in front of truck working on something. He asks guys 2 to "start the truck". Guy 2 reaches in the open window and turns the key on to start the truck. Guy 2 might have no knowledge of the vehicle at all and is just following the instructions of Guy 1. Safety switch prevents the truck from trying to start(in this specific instance that matches the story as told by sirrobyn)

We are both making assumptions since neither of us were there or know every last detail.

Agreed. And to my point. Guy number 2 was very likely another mechanic in that shop and didn’t think/know enough to even understand basic automotive operation….
So I didn't realize how much my story was being talked about so I'd just like to clear up a few points for better or worse.

Even I do not know every detail of what happened. This was some time ago at a shop I no longer work at, there were no security cameras. I was at the service desk in the shop, but did not have a clear view of the bay they were in and regardless if I had I was doing paperwork at the time so would have been looking at my desk.

Guy #2 was a tire mounter and was sitting inside truck. The story told to me was his foot slipped off the clutch it lurched forward and he freaked out. Who knows maybe his foot was never on the clutch. Obviously he should have had it a neutral. Again a chain of events.....

Oh and since we bought it up my mower has a defeated seat switch too, so I'm no saint. Just trying to relay my CSS story.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going to think about this thread every time the mailman comes. Pull up to mailbox, shut POS vehicle off, remove seatbelt, take two steps, put letter in mailbox. Get back in drivers seat, fasten seatbelt, crank POS over for 5 minutes until the starter is screaming and the battery near dead. Said POS reluctantly fires with a puff of smoke and off she goes to the neighbors mailbox 30 feet away. I'm guessing he repeats this a few hundred times a day? I can understand the term "going postal" after observing this day after day in the 110 degree heat. :biggun:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I remember domestic cars in the 1974 model year had federally mandated seatbelt interlock systems.Passenger seat has a switch that sensed when a person had his weight in the seat,the car wouldnt start till passenger fasten his seat belt. So your passenger had to lift his butt up off the seat so the driver could start the car, or you had to start the car before the passenger got into the passenger side seat.Or they simply fastened their belt like it was designed to do. One model year only, the federal government repealed the law because they were so many malfunctions. And people raised mortal sin about it. But nowadays people are like sheep, wear a mask everywhere and wear their seat belts. I had an AMC and I had to bypass the seat belt Interlock system because it malfunctioned. There was a little relay box under the hood with a little protected button on the side, you could press that in with a screwdriver while somebody was sit in the car and turn the ignition switch. And then the car would crank.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
@Disco Don’t tell anyone but I have a Jeep with no CSS and a mower with a disabled deadman switch on the seat.
lol, I was a member on garden tractor forum for a short time when someone asked how to disable the seat switch on a Cub Cadet. There were over twenty posts telling him what a bad idea that was, and not a single reply telling him how to do it. Of course, I had to jump in and tell everyone they might be more comfortable on a ladies knitting forum, and to avert their delicate eyes while I explained how the bypass could be done. Forum Mods deleted my post pretty quick and banned me from the forum.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
We could also discuss the inconvenience of the shifter interlock that prevents taking an auto trans shifter out of park in order to put it in gear until one puts their foot on the brake ....

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If big government says so then you must comply without question and follow the herd over the cliff. And don't forget your mask!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We could also discuss the inconvenience of the shifter interlock that prevents taking an auto trans shifter out of park in order to put it in gear until one puts their foot on the brake ....
That’s an inconvenience too. But my wife’s car takes it one step further. If you shift it from drive into neutral, you have to put your foot on the brake just to shift it back into drive.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Survival of the fittest was defeated by safety devices. Taking away the rights of stupid people to die in stupid accidents is just wrong. (Sarc humor, in case it's not clear)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Since we're on the topic of dangerous stuff

One time I got too small of a belt for my mower blade drive, so the blades were always engaged basically

I mowed a whole season like that, then replace it with the appropriate sized one

But we can all accredit to me being a *******, after all, "B rate hillbilly customs" is my name here

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
BTW guys, I'm a precision machinist.

I override door locks on cnc machines and run manual mills and lathes with no safety features.

Sometimes I weld with no mask too
You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
And 1 more.

I drive on tires and driveline components until they explode usually

I'll tell ya the one that DID **** me up badly.

Military equipment and a vegetable slicer.
A 5 ton driveshaft took out the web Between my index and thumb on my right hand

My wife's accordion thing sliced my finger tip off lmao

Want pics?

I'd like to hope the last thing that kills me is my ol girl ..... the squarebody(s) I own

But that'd be a badass way to die

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And 1 more.

I drive on tires and driveline components until they explode usually

I'll tell ya the one that DID **** me up badly.

Military equipment and a vegetable slicer.
A 5 ton driveshaft took out the web Between my index and thumb on my right hand

My wife's accordion thing sliced my finger tip off lmao

Want pics?

I'd like to hope the last thing that kills me is my ol girl ..... the squarebody(s) I own

But that'd be a badass way to di
I played "crash dummy" once.To straighten out my truck frame with a chain attached to a tree. The old "Dont try this at home" thing never worked for me.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That was dumb tho, apparently people out there were sitting in car, running, and would just move the gear shift!?

my first car was 1990 so I did not have interlock. not once did I ever just go whip it from park to R N D 3 2 1 lol, always foot on brake.
There have been many times I wanted to move gear lever with car off, have to hop in and press brake and its like.... ugh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC